I made up the name 'BluesRocker1967' - 61%

Cheeses_Priced, May 3rd, 2009

I pulled this album out for the first time in eons after seeing the video for “Make Them Suffer” (a newer Cannibal Corpse song) on YouTube. It was really the comments that inspired me: folks with handles like BluesRocker1967 confidently asserting Cannibal Corpse have no talent at all, can't play their instruments, etc.; stuff that seems ludicrous when coming from an individual who has the music right in front of them. What are they hearing coming out their speakers, anyway?

It makes you stop and think about the whole notion of accessibility in music. This is about as accessible as straightforward death metal is going to get. The production is good and the riffs are simple enough to be clearly articulated and understood, and the songs are typically centered around choruses. In spite of not having heard the album in years, I could probably identify half the songs on the album by name after a few seconds of listening. I can't keep the names of Deeds of Flesh songs straight, and I like them. It's neither a good thing nor a bad thing, in and of itself.

I am a little like the opposite of BluesRocker1967. Dissonant, warbling guitars and growling vocals and fast drums and all that sound just peachy to me, prima facie. Your typical death metal fan, immunized and desensitized against death metal's harsh aesthetic, will not have much trouble getting what's going on here, perhaps aside from some complaints with Corpsegrinder's distinctive vocals. Supposedly all Corpsegrinder-era Cannibal Corpse sounds pretty similar, which I can't confirm from firsthand experience with any reliability, but as an isolated example of death metal, this does not sound like the product of a group of guys who wanted to rock the boat too much (if they did, their fans would revolt). I can't say anything overly negative about it, and I don't mind listening to it. It's not even really boring: there are just enough little time signature and tempo changes to maintain interest, and it's pretty catchy at points. Still, if I had my money back, I'd spend it on something other than a Cannibal Corpse album.

(Try not to mind BluesRocker1967's attitude much. He also thinks anyone can make electronic music because you don't have to play an instrument, and classical music is “really relaxing.”)