Cannibal Corpse if they were high?... - 90%

FuckinBill, May 31st, 2008

Cannabis Corpse, I gotta' admit a few years back when I first read about this I thought it was a joke... a bad one at that. After listening to them however I had a new found respect for this band. Call them what you want, a side project, a parody, a joke, etc. It won't change the fact that Cannabis Corpse is a great death metal band.

First of all let's start with the tracklist. It's fucking brilliant, to put it quite simply. With their stoner sense of humor, they managed to take classic Cannibal Corpse songs and kind of turn a phrase with them. With songs like "Addicted To Hash In A Tin" (instead of "Addicted To Vaginal Skin") and the "Gallery Of Stupid High" (instead of "Gallery Of Suicide") how can you not love this band so far?

Now the album art is genius too. At first glance it looks like a classic death metal album (a good one at that, the art looks very professional), but a closer look reveals more of that pot-head humor. In a post-apocalyptic setting with demon spirits that seem to be worshiping a giant bong with dismembered body parts and guts in it. I can't think of a better image than that to go along with this album.

The music is really, just amazing. Top-notch oldschool death metal riffs. Insane double bass and fills. Sick ass bass lines. And the vocals are absolutely classic, this is what death metal vocals should sound like. In fact this is what death metal in general should sound like. They do a great job of taking the original Cannibal Corpse sound and making it their own.

Aside from the lyrical content this is a pure death metal album and it's one of the best out there. It's kind of funny when side projects like this are doing better than actual bands today, but that seems to be the case, at least here anyway. My only fault with it is the tracklist is kind of short. I think a band that plays this good should have more songs, but I guess this just leaves fans like myself begging for more. This band pays great tribute to Cannibal Corpse and I know it's something Chris Barnes would love because he's a big weed lover. I highly recommend this to any death metal fan, oldschool or modern.