CRUSHING - 91%

MetalJoe, March 22nd, 2007

Wow, this has to be the heaviest Candlemass album to date. This is certainly my favorite album along with Nightfall. Although, this is completely different from Nightfall.
Maybe this s/t is slightly comparable to a few choice tracks off of Chapter IV, granted this production is superior and a far more consistent album on a whole. Having Messiah back in the fold makes all the difference in the world.

This is his finest vocal performance since Nightfall. What I mean is that he is singing more within the song. I have often thought to my self that he tends to over sing on "Ancient Dreams" and "Tales..". Too much vibrato, Messiah would often sound like he was trying out for the opera. I guess that is like saying to a lead guitar player, "you're playing too many notes". Too much wanking, if you will. Yes, you have the talent, but it doesn't quite fit the song.

Okay, saying all that, when Messiah is on his game he is the best. He hasn't necessarily toned down on this album, all the energy is still there, rather he sounds much more pissed-off and aggressive. Listen to Witches and it sounds like he never has in the past, and it sounds fucking great.

These songs are all fucking heavy. Maybe Lief's side project band Krux rubbed off a little. The opening riff in "Copernicus", is a skull crusher. It goes from the heaviest shit you can imagine, to a softer passage, back into the heaviness. Brilliantly executed. Just a fucking fantastic song. "Black Dwarf "has that "Symptom of the Universe" pulse to it. Along with "Born in a Tank" are the only real Sabbath vibe songs here. It is still total Candlemass though, not like the Sabbath worship found on "From the 13th Sun". All the tracks are good on this album, except the instrumental I could pass on. "Seven Silver Keys" is the most reminiscent of the past. Messiah singing like the glory days in this melodic number. Probably the most melodic song on the album. Nice use of atmosphere with the keyboard.

The keyboard wasn't really introduced into Candlemass until Chapter IV. More or less used as a backdrop. Had Messiah sang on Chapter IV I think it would've been much better. Not to knock on the previous singers, but Candlemass seemed to fade into oblivion after he left. Well, at least for me. Its too bad Messiah left the band again. No one was able to fill his shoes in the past, and it looks like they shouldn't make that mistake again. I look forward to hearing them team up with the powerful voice from Solitude Aeternus.

Well, at least they'll go out on a high note with this classic lineup. The last word has already been written about this album a thousand times, but I don't care. If you got this far then maybe you're interested in seeking out this album. I hope to one day see this revered with the classics. If you're unfamiliar with this band, then you can do no wrong with starting here. Try and find the Digipack with the bonus track on it. After that buy Nightfall and Epicus, then thank me later and buy me a beer.

Candlemass... Is Back! - 90%

NecroWraith, February 11th, 2007

‘Candlemass’ is back… and with the best album since 1989’s ‘Tales Of Creation.’ Honestly, I had both high hopes and doubts about this album. I wasn’t very psyched about the Candlemass releases after 1990, but here, Messiah Marcolin was on vocals once again. With him singing, what could go wrong? Fortunately, very little did go wrong.

The band is back to their old style, as could be heard on classics such as ‘Nightfall’ and ‘Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.’ The great catchy riffs are back, vocals amazing, and Marcolin’s voice didn’t seem to have weakened at all. The same power and commanding in his voice is still there, as are both the familiar and loved high-octave vocals, and some lower ones, which add more singing variety to the album than to the previous Candlemasses.

The riffs are back and (dare I say?) they’re better than ever. Great melodies, catchy rhythms, same heavy distorted noises as always. They remind me of classic Black Sabbath on this release more than on any other Candlemass, and manage to create the same unforgettable atmospheres as Iommi in classics like ‘Paranoid.’ The amazing production of this album makes this fact ever better. The guitars are perfectly mixed with the drums and vocals, and the bass on here is about as close to perfect as you can possibly get.

Choruses are also catchy as hell, sounding epic and legendary like always. Candlmass matured by miles, and that is clean on this album. Supplying with a lot more sophisticated songwriting than I ever anticipated, this was yet another good surprise for me. Every time you listen to this album, it grows on you some more, and you notice something fresh and new. This is one of those few albums I can put on repeat and listen through a couple times without starting to get bored.

The godfathers of Epic Doom metal definitely didn’t disappoint me with this release. If anything, my liking of this band doubled. Just when I didn’t think they had anything left in them, they managed to supply me with yet another pleasant surprise. Candlemass is back… and better than ever!!!

-Marcin C.

Golden maturity - 100%

Pegasus_wings, October 24th, 2006

How often does a band try something really fresh and innovative instead of copying the thrills of the past after a reunion? Some guys prefer not to release anything in the fear of destroying their legend (the original Black Sabbath), or they create something uninspired and unoriginal, with old and repetitive ideas and cliches in order to please their fans (Judas Priest).

That's not the case of Candlemass! Abandoning part of their early epic feeling and the religious, mythological, or fantasy themes they focus, for the first time in their history, on the drama of every-day life and agony. More doom than epic the new Candlemass sound darker than ever before. It seems that the change of Leif Edling's philosophical approach (he does not accept any metaphysical explanation about the human fate) affected the music itself. It is very interesting to hear the lyrics of "Born in a tank" for example, a song talking about a man buried in the fake safety of his home, being in fact imprisoned by the politics. No more devils or angels, no Satan or God, but just human beings...

Don't expect the thunderous enthusiasm of previous albums such as "Nightfall". What someone should expect from some guys around 45 is maturity, not youthfull energy. Candlemass are more sophisticated than ever before, with the intention to speak out the truth. The result of this effort is breathtaking. Although Messiah does not use all his vocal range (like his singing during '80's), he prefers to insist on darker vocals that fit perfectly the mood of this album. The other players have retained their dexterity and good shape and, most of all, they have chemistry. You cannot pay attention to the good work of a single musician, but to the whole music in general. It gives me the impression that not even a single note is unnecessary.

I strongly believe that this album is their best. I didn't realise it at the first time I heard it, but after some more careful listenings I understood why the best albums are the growers, not the instant thrills. When you want to express something deep and original, there is no way to make it easier, in order to be understood by the idiots or the lazy ones.

Candlemass is back and in a big way - 90%

corpse_are_gay, April 24th, 2005

2005 is really shaping up to be a promising year for the Doom Metal genre. It seems that numerous Doom Metal bands are making a coincidental yet seemingly unified presence that just might over shadow the saturated genres of metal markets such as Power Metal, Death Metal and Black Metal. With releases from Draconia, Swallow The Sun, November's Doom, soon to be releases from Trouble and a Black Sabbath reunion tour, we now find Candlemass adding something to the mix.....

Back in 2003, I reviewed Candlemass' "Doomed For Live-Reunion 2002". This release was just one step in a process that would lead to something I had hoped for back when I wrote the review......a new studio album!

"Candlemass" is the band's first release through Nuclear Blast and first studio album with Messiah Marcolin back on vocals since "Tales of Creation" in 1990. "Candlemass" was recorded in part at Polar studios (ABBA, GENESIS, LED ZEPPELIN) in Stockholm, Sweden.

Well Candlemass fans, the new release is their best effort since "Tales of Creation". This album does a fine job of mixing slower pounding, more doomy styled songs with some mid-tempo ones. You'll find classic tinges of Candlemass all throughout the album, as well as a few surprises. In many ways, this album gives the listener the feeling of such Candlemass classics as "Nightfall" and "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus".

The production is very good. The recording and mix between the drums and the bass provide an excellent, low range response that gives the songs some much needed bottom end. something that seemed to be missing on previous Candlemass albums. The trademark Sabbathy guitar riffs are as heavy and catchier than ever. Some keys are used but they are very low in the mix and seem to be there to add some atmosphere and highlights. And what would a Candlemass album be without the vocals of Messiah Marcolin, the one ingredient that really gives this band an identity and whose voice is much more dynamic now when compared to his work in the past.. He uses the full range of his vocals and doesn't over use is throttle capabilities. He sings with as much power and clarity today as he did back in the late 80's, early 90's. He also adds some interesting vocal styles unlike he has on previous Candlemass albums. He goes from very low ranges to his more familiar higher octaves. Such an example of a song in which these characteristics are noticeable on is "Copernicus".

"Black Dwarf" is one of the more up tempo songs that reminds me of a track like "Gallow's End". And the riffs in "Witches" are reminiscent of "Black Stone Wielder". "Born In A Tank" brings back feelings of "A Cry From The Crypt". "The Man Who Fell from the Sky" is an instrumental.

This album is a must have. I already have four to six albums that are potentials for my 2005 Top 15 and this one is no exception. Candlemass is back and in a big way! Let the Doom Dancing begin!

Reconquering the throne of Doom!!!! - 87%

Lefator, April 15th, 2005

Ohhh, What can I say... CANDLEMASS are one of my all time metal heroes, and obviously, the true kings of Epic Doom Metal, toguether with the mighty SOLITUDE AETURNUS. I felt sad when they decided to split-up some months ago, I couldn't believe it! They made some cool shit in the last years like the Dvd, the european shows, the remasters of "nightfall", "tales of...", "Ancient...", the "Doomed for life" live album, the "Documents of Doom" compilation... But all of us were waiting for the new studio Cd!!!!!, it never came out... Try to imagine how I felt when someone told me that CANDLEMASS wanted to come back with a new studio piece of shit!!! I was completly out of control. I was waiting some weeks til my promo copy of "candlemass" arrived. At first, I enjoyed the album but I thought CANDLEMASS could make better tunes like the ones from the past... But on the next 556 times I put the Cd on my Hi-Fi, "Candlemass" began to grow inside me, like a fucking Alien! Messiah delivers his best performance in 15 years! (forget the crappy MEMENTO MORI...), Leif shows his Epic Doomed bass riffs as the fucking die-hard SABBATH fan he is! and Lars/Mappe put on tape some killer riffs and ultra-emotive guitar solos. The Beer-Raiser Jan Lindh still remains in the background... sure, I never put some atention on CANDLEMASS drums. "Black Dwarf" sounds near to "Dark Reflections" and is probably the best tune of "Candlemass". "Seven silver keys" shows the most epic side of CANDLEMASS!, "Assassin of the light" coulb be "The Well of souls Part II". "Copernicus" is the SABBATH tribute CANDLEMASS has always done on every Lp, this time Ozzy looks like a fucking cinderella in front of Messiah!!!! "The man who fell from the sky" is a good instrumental, but there's no fucking solos!, ¿Remember "Into the umfathomed tower" from "Tales..."? This is not exactly the same, only some dark guitar chords and melodies, but anything else. "Witches" & "Born in a tank" are 2 good songs, but nothing special compared with the other killer songs of "Candlemass". "Spellbreaker" is another fast tune, metallic... and Epic! Good chorus and good riffs, Leif is the Law creating monster riffs. "The day and the night" has a cool melody at the end and some good riffs, but stays far from "A tale of creation", a similar song.
Remember guys, CANDLEMASS still have enough balls to kick you in the face as they use to made back in the old days! The True Fucking Kings of Epic Doom Metal have returned!!!! Long live CANDLEMASS!!

Buried alive like a dog! - 95%

well_of_souls, March 29th, 2005

This is my first review so I'll try to do a damn good job. If you cant tell, I'm a huge Candlemass fan and this is been something I've been looking forward to for a while. It has been 16 years since there has been a studio album with vocalist extra-ordinare Messiah Marcolin. Would it be as good as other Candlemass albums or a sad reunion album?

Black Dwarf: My cd has the intro and this song put together. I was floored when I heard this song for the first time. It seems like Messiah and Co. havent been separated for 16 years. Some excellent guitar work from Johansson and Bjorkman on this track.

Seven Silver Keys: This sorta seems like something off Epicus Doomicus Metalicus; the whole fantasy lyric deal. Not that there is anything wrong with that. This song is a killer. It has a really slow and plodding feeling to it, another Candlemassaterpeace.

Assassin of the Light: The opening riff has a really evil, eerie feeling to it and I love it. The song kinda reminds me of Trouble for some reason, maybe just the title. Marcolin manages to continue to belt it out as in days of old. I still cant believe these guys havent achieved international superstardom.

Copernicus: Named after the famed astronomer, Copernicus has a nice beginning. A really slow and plodding riff and then dead silence. Then Messiah begins to sing in a haunting way and then that riff picks up like it never ended. This song kinda reminds me of "Black Sabbath" with the whole heavy, dreary riff and then the vocals come, except I think Messiah Marcolin sounds a whole hell of a lot better than Ozzy Osbourne. Another great track.

The Man Who Fell From the Sky: eh, the only reason I gave this album a 95 is because of this track. It's an instrumental, but it is nowhere near as good as "Into The Unfathomed Tower," the ultimate Candlemass instrumental. TMWFFS kinda bores me.

Witches: The actual first song I heard off the album. A friend of mine had this and sent it to me, thus prompting me to get a hold of this album. I love the riff, Messiah's singing, etc. My second favorite song on the album. Contains one of my favorite lyrics "leave this fucking place!" Really outta place, but come on its Candlemass!

Born In A Tank: Imagine if Saint Vitus and Alice in Chains had a child and wrote a song. This is what it would sound like. The lyrics are very strong as is the chugging riff, which make this song my favorite. This would make an interesting music video because of the visuals the song gives me.

Spellbreaker: this is why Candlemass is associated with epic doom metal. Another great track, going 7 minutes and 2 seconds with plenty of tempo shifts. The solo is quite nice and the fade out at the end is a nice touch.

The Day and the Night: Has a dark, blusey feeling at first which I like and more Messiah singing along with it. From there it picks up with his legendary opera crooning and the tourtise-paced riffs. Around 3:55, the song begins to pick up and by 4:15 it gets heavy. What a fucking way to end an album. Almost as good as A Sorcerer's Pledge. "I'm lost in the dark..." priceless

Mars and Volcanos (digipack bonus): A nice little bonus for Candlemass fans. This is a more quick pased song than I'm used to from them, but a great change nonetheless. The last 45 seconds is a nice little display of Jahn Lindt's drum work.

What can I say? Candlemass still has it. The first studio album with Messiah Marcolin in 16 years is a damn fine one. Other than the so/so instrumental, this is a great piece of doom metal. One of my favorite albums of the year and it is a great way to showcase how talented Candlemass is. In a day and age where all this metalcore bullshit seems to be taking over, I'm glad to see guys like Candlemass sticking to their guns and showing how much more talented they are. A 95 out of 100 for Messiah and Company.