Addictive death metal! - 90%

prematureburial, October 14th, 2007

This is just a very memorable and catchy album, and should of be more recognized by the metal community. Cancer's sound on their debut is really crushing, and highly distinct. Like others have stated the vocals are low, but for the better, its a key element of their sound. Even if you aren't liking them at first, I am pretty sure they'll grow on you. John's voice is extremely viscous, evil, and nice and out of the ordinary. The drums are perfect, almost sounds like gunshots, with some impressive double-bass moments. Riffing is very strong indeed, sorta reminds me of Death's first two albums. You can hear the thrash influence as well. The lyrics as you probably can tell by the album name, are pretty cheesy, but are very suiting for the music and are somewhat original. It was recorded in 89', and only a few others were including such graphic and violent lyrics in death metal. The solos are pretty raw and ruff around the edges, maybe could have been a little better. I was very impressed by how heavy this was, guitar tone is top of the line, and reminds me not only of Scott's mixing on "Harmony Corruption", but Master's s/t especially.

Withstands the test of time, in my opinion, without a doubt a classic. Old school death metal is the best of the best, and this is an excellent example of why. Highly recommend you track this down. Best tracks "Into The Acid", maybe the catchiest riff,"To The Gory End","Cancer Fucking Cancer",best chorus, as with "Die Die".