Loneliness - 99%

noinnocentvictim, December 21st, 2005

"Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" is loneliness. That is all you will find here - a distant stare into nothingness, amplifying any feelings you had that you were alone in life. The opening track, "Det Som En Gang Var," has this very feeling from the opening, which has a duration of nearly three minutes. Beyond this opening, which consists of a synthesizer and lazily played guitar chords, lies a war cry for solitude, expressed in drum lines focused on playing the toms.

The atmosphere in this album is startling, and this is probably the closest Varg got to his "evening music," with the intention of lulling the listener to a dreamlike state. However, on this album, one can reach this state no matter what time of day it is. All you need is a CD player, tape player or MP3 player, and absolute silence beyond that. This album is probably most easily understood if played on a cloudy, dismal day when one is alone.

With "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss," you find yourself confronted with unreal, beautifully simplistic music that sets the perfect atmosphere, and almost instantaneously triggers a sense of melancholy and hatred within you. The repetition one finds in this album is used as a means of achieving this dreamlike state that Varg wishes to express. The shifts grant you nothing more than another expression of the same emotion - as though you're looking in a different direction, hoping to find someone else, but are still confronted with a painful loneliness.

Each song holds something different. "Det Som En Gang Var" was the perfect starting track, and there is simply nothing wrong with it. It moves slowly through its shifts, with subtle effects found throughout the piece.

"Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" is an attack using metal, and even though it lacks the same atmosphere as "Det Som En Gang Var," it express the same feeling: Loneliness. This track is amazing as well, and I have no complaints regarding it.

"In I Slottet Fra Droemmen" is a track I skip rather often, though I know that I shouldn't. It feels too... intense for this album. On any other album, this track would be acceptable, as it is a fine specimen of black metal, but on "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" it seems rather off. However, it does redeem itself between 3:30 and 4:00, giving you a feel of loneliness and sudden disconnection from the activity found in the beginning of the piece.

"Tomhet" translates to "Emptiness." This track is simply amazing, and is best hear while looking outside into a dismal void of fog or darkness, allowing its three simplistic melodies to settle in. This track is unbelievably powerful in its atmosphere, and I can't think of anything Varg could have done to improve it. This is what I consider to be the anthem of the album, as loneliness can be found here in its purest form.

Buy this album; I'm lucky, because I could obtain a copy from a user on Amazon. The new copies cost north of $20, so I recommend looking around for used copies. After all, the music is the same whether or not someone else has experienced it from the same disc as you.