A Death Worse than Belus' - 35%

ToeMentor, September 8th, 2013

Burzum. A household name within the black metal scene. Regardless of your stance towards the man or the music it is fair to say that there are the good and the bad (and even the ugly) when it comes to ol’ Varg’s material. Long gone is the day of the self-titled glory but here we have come to the so-called comeback. Belus. Would a flopback be more appropriate? I don’t know, but I don’t think that it lives up to the hype that it inspired.

We start off with an introduction track. One, might I say, that is completely unnecessary and frankly quite boring. It does not draw you towards or into anything. Other than wondering what that it is that is making the sound. My guess is catching a small wooden ball in a tin cup. After that nonsense “Belus’ Død” abruptly begins. With a small noodly guitar lead - which is probably the most intricate thing on the entire album – which then shifts to about what I believe to be the only riff in the song. Just about every other song follows in the same suit of the same riff being played over and over again. Sunn O))) has more diversity.

“Glemselens Elv” finds itself to have a better composition. I guess that’s because people would notice something a bit odd with the same riff being played for 11 minutes. The fourth track of the album has an attempt at dissonant riffing at the beginning. While I am a great fan of dissonant progressions I do not feel the same with this. It feels awkward and rushed. There is, however, a punk-ish element within the choruses, and for this reason it is redeeming. It brings something new to the table rather than the old worn out sound of that which did precede.

There is one standout on this album alone, and that would be that which is titled “Sverddans”. A two-minute length song with a strong punk presence and manages to bring some life into this otherwise dull, drab and dragged-out album. “Keliohesten” would manage to also freshen up your listening experience if it actually managed to have some more (yes, you guess it) diversity. With what is left of the album; you might as well be better off going to sleep than want to pay attention.

To finish; while this is in no-way the worst release under the Burzum-moniker. There is definitely more to be desired. But I guess I was not surprised with this as to when most of Burzum’s other works are equally boring. If you are looking for some decent Burzum; do not stop here and go directly back to the self-titled. But boy were I glad when this stopped.