Experimental and Brutal - 95%

kalervon, March 24th, 2013

Basically, this album rips. The sound here is more grindcore than Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses, which sounded more death metal. Gone is the Colin Richardson production, who had produced Carcass' Heartwork a year or so before. Brutal Truth showed with this album they weren't taking the road towards traditional heavy metal like labelmates Carcass, or confusingly industrious unmusical metal like other labelmates Napalm Death.

The drums are blasting pretty fast and steady at times, even more surprising given the fact that a single bass drum (with double pedal) was used (at least live). The dual high pitch/low growl vocals work very well in almost all the songs. The instrumentals are boring in themselves, perhaps a ripple from the popularity of industrial music at the time, but in the context of listening to this album while doing something else, they add to the overall depth and experience. I don't get why they stuck "Bite the Hand" (or any song) between two instrumentals, because otherwise, this album comprises two "movements".

The first movement is roughly equivalent to sde A (of LP or cassette tape). "Collapse" is just an intro, and songs 2-5 run very well after another and constitute the album's best moments. "Black Door Mine" is immediately catchy even though it's blasting at 100 mph. "Turn Face" unravels in a more up-beat tempo. "Godplayer" brings the groove and the bass sound is augmented by some didgeridoo. "I See Red" ends the sequence. That's about 10 minutes of amazing brutal music with rhythm and tempo changes created by the succession of those different songs. Otherwise, only "Godplayer" has some tempo changes.

"Iron Lung" and "Ordinary Madness" are two more dragging atmospheric instrumentals, but in between comes "Bite the Hand". I admit this is a bit odd. I don't know what they were thinking. With a CD or digital tracks one can program one's way around it, but listening to the cassette way back then made for an awkward experience.

The second movement consists of tracks 8-13, which show more of a straightforward punk/grindcore side and is less experimental than what I would call side one. The "The Germs" cover is great and it's a shame it lasts less than a minute. "Choice of a New Generation", a Brutal Truth original, also sounds punk/hardcore. "Mainliner" is the "warning" hard drug song (following a pro-soft drug song). Track 14, "Displacement", is a slow dragging song followed by another long instrumental which ends the album.

Perfection - 100%

Stonedsour2097, November 30th, 2007

Brutal truth, one of the most raw and true grindcore bands that ever was. I had heard of Brutal Truth way before I ever listened to them. I was told about their record setting music video, and their legendary bassist. I had also heard of Kevin Sharpe’s vocal talents surpassing that of anybody else in the genre. I was more than intrigued, and I had heard enough, I had to get a taste myself.

I ordered “Need to Control” online, needless to say I anticipated its arrival for weeks. Now I can’t help but mention that my expectations were very high for this album. I popped it in, and within one listen I was hooked on the whole CD. I have literally never had an album stick to me like this. I would play it on my way to work, to school, to my girlfriend’s house; in every situation these songs followed me. Need to Control is like the soundtrack to the human existence out of control, enraged, confused, worried, paranoid, and most importantly dominant.

Every instrument stands out on this album. The guitar work includes some of the catchiest break neck riffs I have ever heard in my life. Seemingly the guitarist plays in the same vein as black riffing, possessing that running water avant-garde guitar sound. Yet he manages to fuse the bands elements of punk/thrash crossover into the songs creating a distorted mess that somehow manages to coordinate itself perfectly through each song. The bass is very powerful on this album as well, it has several moments where it takes the lead and forms some of the greatest riffs on the album including the beginnings to “God Player” and “Turn Face”. The drumming is very precise. Most Grindcore bands can state their claim of having the fastest drummers in music, despite the fact that they can’t drum for shit. Rich Hoak on the other hand manages to maintain a great amount of speed and remain totally on his mark the entire album, never missing one beat. Finally the highlight of the songs for me, Kevin Sharpe’s shockingly powerful vocal talents. I had heard allot about Mr. Sharpe, from great reviews to extremely terrible reviews. I can tell you from my ears nobody can scream like this guy. The shrieks on songs like “I See Red”, and “Choice of a New Generation” followed by the traditional Grindcore low pitch grunting. Perhaps the most surprising element of Kevin’s vocal work is his ability to execute several different styles of screams at an incredible rate speed.

All in All this album is perfect, if you have any interest in this band or grindcore music in general, pick this album up and give it a spin, you won’t be disappointed.

Standout Tracks
I See Red
Turn Face
Choice of a New Generation
Ordinary Madness
and the germs cover (Media Blitz)

brutality defined - 88%

ironasinmaiden, February 23rd, 2003

I admit my knowledge of Brutal Truth is limited, but Need to Control is a fucking incredible grindcore album. It's like getting ramshafted by a charging bull... IN THE ASS. If you can tolerate grind, or extreme metal for that matter, Need to Control delivers the goods on a silver platter of splatter. Truth in advertising. HA!

"Collapse" opens side 1 (yeah... i got it on cassette. but i paid for a cd. fuck ebay to hell) in a lurching, mechanic manner. Odd considering most subsequent tracks are an all out assault. Dan Lilker says he founded Brutal Truth on the basis of pushing the boundaries of musical intensity back a few notches. An apt description... songs like "Bite the Hand" and "Judgement" are blastbeat overkill, larynx shredding, grind-till-you die declarations of sonic warfare. You can't fuck with Kevin Sharp's incoherent jibberish, or Lilker's trademark bass tone.

Grind is hardly known for it's pristine production, but Need to Control sounds great. Key tracks = God Player... spasmodic, heavier than hell classic with a didjereedoo solo. Choice of a New Generation = FUCK YES, groove-grind weed anthem.

Did I mention the Germs cover? It rules. This album is not recommended for: pregnant women, Rob Halford, fans of Whitesnake or catholics.