One of the best albums by one of the best artists! - 100%

John, November 6th, 2002

"The Chemical Wedding" in my opinion is one of the greatest albums by one of the greatest artists, Bruce Dickinson. It follows the same vein as "Accident of Birth" (heavy metal) and the opening track "King in Crimson" is no exception. It then moves on to the title track, which is slow paced but still great. "The Tower" is yet another mind-blowing track. "Killing floor" the single released in Japan, has an interesting use of medieval-type instruments. "The Book of Thel" is the first of 2 epics- both of which have a narrative aat the end of each, tying in with its religious-type theme. "The Gates of Urizen" is my favourite track, with a bassline that reminds me "Ghost of the Navigator" an Iron Maiden song from Brave New World, their latest studio release. "Jerusalem" is the last epic, of around 7 mins, with a slow-yet-heavy feel, just like the title track, devloping slowly thoughout the track. It contains the religous theme in it heavily. "Trumpets of Jericho" has a heavy, low-chord start, that shows that Bruce's solo work is much heavier than Maiden, which is led by Steve Harris. It also makes a reference to the bible story, the walls of Jericho. "Machine Men" has an intro that would sound great on a church organ, with some excellent background vocals with the main. "The Alchemist" has an eerie start, with the warping of Bruce's voice. The track is also the slow type, but that just makes it all the more better. At the end, the chorus of the title track is added before a strange 3 minute silence, then followed by the last narrative about "a vegetable world on my toe", which is strange.
All in all, I enjoyed this album, which shows just how much freedom Bruce has on his work. A classic by all means.