Thankfully Not Indicative of Later Works - 55%

BotD, May 11th, 2006

As a new member of Metal Archives, I have taken it upon myself to review Bruce Dickinson’s solo catalogue. His latest albums garner quite a bit of praise, while his first three unfairly languish in oblivion. Actually, let me qualify that last remark, this album deserves to die a long death.

Other reviewers have astutely labeled this album as hard rock and I will just reiterate the warning that this is not metal in any sense of the word. I even enjoy hard rock (though not what passes for it today) and this album still fails to please me in any regard.

Tattooed Millionaire falls into a trap countless albums fail to avoid; it places all the best songs at the beginning. It opens with Son of a Gun, which, while nothing astounding, manages to enchant with Dickinson’s powerful vocals and a catchy chorus. The title track is a brilliant piece of satire. It manages to simultaneously parody hair metal and craft a memorable entry into the mostly abominable genre. Born in 58 is a sugary ballad of only decent quality. Then we come to a song obviously influenced by AC/DC. From the raging vocals to the signature AC/DC riffs, Hell on Wheels, despite its indubitable origins, is a highlight of the album.

Unfortunately, it is the last of them. The rest rarely make an impression and begin to sound far too similar to each other. I hear this album is out of print. Don’t look to hard for this one unless you are a huge fan of Dickinson, pick up his later, far superior works.