Extremely underrated - 78%

DaBuddha, July 30th, 2007

Everyone (ok, well a lot of people) pretty much disregards this album as crap, possibly because they genuinely hate it, or maybe because they simply do not understand it. Obviously Bruce was going in a different direction here, but it all started with his first solo album, Tattooed Millionaire, which is honestly just hard rock. It's not so different if you have already heard his two previous solo albums, the already mentioned Millionaire and Balls To Picaso, the only difference being that it's even less metal than they are. Not that it's bad, because I can appreciate good rock music when I hear it, and this is basically hard rock with operatic vocals. I've been wanting to write a review of this album for quite some time now, but just haven't been able to piece together something which I feel describes this the way it should. It's a different Bruce, but at the same time it feels the same.

As I already stated, the music is basically hard rock, but there are moments where psychadelic and even grunge pop up. I'm not much into these types of music so the songs where they show up (Faith, Dreamstate, I Will Not Accept The Truth) are my least favorite, though Faith IS better than the others. The guitars aren't heavy for the most part, though they get heavier during some song's choruses like in Octavia and Inertia. The riffs are pretty good most of the time. The main riff to opener Space Race (one of the best I feel) is damn catchy and Headswitch is the closest to metal you will find on this album, with its fast riffs and Bruce's effect layered vocals which almost sound like he's singing through a megaphone as another reviewer described. That's a good description. The bass is turned up quite loud at times and can be heard on pretty much every song. There is some cool bass parts scattered throughout such as on songs like Strange Death In Paradise and Octavia, two of the absolute best songs on here. The drums are good, sometimes doing cool little fills and patterns. I especially like the drumming on Innerspace. Now the vocals are one of the best parts of this album. It's still trademark Bruce we hear on this album. He still uses all the different ranges he possesses and they somehow fit well with the hard rock music. His voice is as good as ever and anyone would be a fool to say his voice is going downhill at all.

A lot of people don't like this album because it's not metal, but there is still damn good music to be found on here. I will break the songs found within into three categories.

1. Really good - Octavia, Strange Death In Paradise, Innerspace, Space Race, Solar Confinement, Back From the Edge.

2. Pretty Good - Meltdown, Headswitch, Inertia, Faith, Inside the Machine.

3. Not my cup of tea - Dreamstate, I Will Not Accept the Truth.

As you can see, IMO most of the songs are really good and are not to be disregarded so easily, in fact, I really only dislike two out of thirteen songs. There's a lot of really catchy songs and riffs to be found on here. Sure it has its flaws but the positives outweigh the negatives I think. This is actually my second favorite Bruce solo album, just behind Chemical Wedding. I appreciate and respect what Bruce was going for and I think he succeeded where others say he failed. Good job Bruce. For those who can handle music from a metal icon that isn't metal at all, then pick this up and enjoy all the good this album has to offer. You won't regret it.