Bruce's Ball - 95%

Ancelot, April 18th, 2006

It may be Bruce’s name on the cover, but Roy Z owns this album.

Balls To Picasso is all about the guitars and what a great work was done. From the heaviness of Laughing In The Hiding Bush passing through the groove of Shoot All The Clowns up until the softness of Change Of Heart and Tears Of The Dragon every riif is well thought, every lead is well played and you can’t find a note out of place.

The main quality of this album is that it’s completely different from Bruce’s old band (Iron Maiden). I have to tell you, given the fact that Bruce spent so many years in Maiden I had my doubts if he was going to be able to do something new and fresh once he went solo.

Fortunately for all of us, not only he was able to separate himself from his old band, but, also, he managed to do something different with every new record in his career.

Bruce’s performance is also top-notch. In his last Maiden albums he sounded tired and bored, but here going on his on he’s full of energy and that reflects on songs such as the heavy Hell No and even on a mid-tempo track like the opener Cyclops.

Balls To Picasso also shows a soothing side of Bruce and given the fact the Tears Of The Dragon has been overplayed as hell and find myself enjoying Change Of Heart more that that one.

Balls To Picasso was the record where Bruce Dickinson solidified himself as a solo artist, being finally free from the Iron Maiden shadow. In the future years, things would only get better.