A good start which has taken twenty years - 80%

Satanwolf, July 23rd, 2010

I guess since I'm the founder of Brimstone Fist, I should do the first review. I hope to give you some background information into the recording of this demo and also some insight into the inspirations behind the song lyrics. There's no harsher critic than oneself, so let's begin.

This was my first time in a professional recording studio and it was a real learning experience. Recording began in May 2007 at Vintage Studio in Bangkok and day one was devoted to drum tracking. I really didn't have all the drum parts worked out and I was playing on a set which was new to me. So it was a difficult day in which I damaged my shoulder by playing too hard. I did seven drum tracks but two were found to be unsuitable, hence five songs on the demo. As studio time is not cheap, it would be another twelve months before I ventured again into the studio. For that reason I don't feel that the drum tracks reflect the same period of time as the other instruments.

In May 2008 I went back to the studio to resume recording. Over the next few months I got it done bit by bit whenever I had $150 to pay for a day. And I must say that on lead guitar day I felt pretty shit hot and came up with some solos that I think fit the songs pretty well. I guess my favorite solo is in "Kiss the Whip." That onehas got some good licks and was completely written on the day of recording, unlike some other solos where I had a basic idea and improvised the rest.

One problem associated with being an American recording music in a Thai studio is the language barrier. I worked with three different engineers on this project. One guy was cool and a bit of a rocker and would push me to do leads better if he thought it necessary, and although he was a bit bossy I appreciated his encouragement. The third guy, who did the mastering, didn't speak Engilsh well and didn't seem to be into metal. Most likely he was used to working with pop guys. I'm not really happy with his mix, too much drums and not enough rhythm guitar. Live and learn. But he did say he liked the vocals. 'Powerful," he called them. I'll take that compliment. Vocally I often get compared to Danzig but I think that's incidental as me and Glenn D. are both Doors fans, and you can't hardly beat Mr. Mojo Risin'. For me Ozzy's the shit and the reason I got into metal in the first place. So take Oz, Morrison, Lemmy and Ronnie Van Zant, add a dash of Tom Warrior and that about explains the vocal style.

Musically it's all a mix of oldschool metal, hard rock and southern rock. If Clapton is God then Iommi is Satan and I know whose side I'm on. For twenty-plus years, going all the way back to my old band Blue Unicorn, I've always wanted to mix the rock stuff with more extreme elements of thrash, death metal and the original black metal trinity of Venom, Mercyful Fate and Bathory. Old Sepultura, all that shit. You'll hear those elements more on the next release. But I think I've got a pretty good mix on this demo and I hope you'll agree.

Lyrically, I get influenced by stuff I read ot watch. 'Laura the Wolf Girl" is inspired by the writings of Anton Szandor LaVey (what a guy!), a freakish tale of human bondage and misery. "Ride It" is the oldest song here, going back over a decade and written during my "Japan era." Despite the marijuana reference, it's not a pro-drug, party song. It's actually more sinister, and inspired by a concept from the film "Rosemary's Baby." A story about a chick who's a real loser and gets taken advantage of by a mysterious motorbike rider. I like to tell stories, you see, of rebels and damned souls, freaks and monsters. No choruses in my songs, just tales spun from my nightmares and the comics and monster movies of my youth.

"Enik" is inspired and based on the best episode of the old Sid and Marty Krofft show "Land of the Lost." That's pretty easy to figure out. When I wrote this song I was listening a lot to Keith Richards' solo album, "Main Offender," I love that album, some great riffs there and that style influenced this song. " Kiss the Whip" is inspired by John Norman's "Gor" series of books and this is definitely the heaviest song on the demo. Total doom and total Saint Vitus and Celtic Frost worship (you'll always be "Tom Warrior" to me, Mr. Fischer). The demo closes with "The Bargain," another old song written in Japan a decade ago and it's a total Sabbath doomfest. A Faustian tale of hellfire and damnation, this track appeared in different form on one of the old demos under the old bandname Diabolist, but I like the song and wanted to record it again, so I did.

The music's not perfect, it has it's flaws but nonetheless I'm quite proud of the shitload of work that went into recording five songs. I feel I'm doing something a bit different from what's currently the norm in "metal". No rap, no clown suits and no flanel shirts. Fuck the 90s! Give me my well-worn cassette copy of Sabbath's "Born Again" any day. Brimstone Fist may not
be the most extreme band out there but that's not the intent. The intent is to summon hellfire. To make a journey to the crossroads to meet Satan, Robert Johnson and Bon Scott. This music is tradition, you oldschoolers know what I'm talking about. This is our music! So raise high the sign of the horns and tell your friends that doom is alive and the times of burning have begun. Let the music of Brimstone Fist take you on a journey into the depths of despair and insanity. Now you will know why you are afraid of the dark, now you will know why you fear the night. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!