Solid and dependable - 76%

Andromeda_Unchained, December 3rd, 2012

On The Spur Of The Moment is the latest release from Brainstorm, and thus will conclude the rewind. It has been fun, and I hope the readers have enjoyed reading as much as I have writing. Enough of the sap though, this is Brainstorm, and this is serious business!

Much like how I feel about Liquid Monster, I reckon On The Spur Of The Moment is a typical release from the band. I think after the slight division of opinion concerning Memorial Roots the band decided to play it safe and by the book. In itself, I don’t see that as a bad thing, as on their ninth full-length the band show everything they do well and cut back on a lot of the filler found in Liquid Monster.

Probably the best thing about On The Spur Of The Moment is what I just hinted at in the last paragraph; the album, whilst undeniably safe for the band, it doesn’t feature much in the way of filler. All the songs are good, although there are a few better than others. For the most part though this is just Brainstorm letting it all hang out. In a way the album has a similar feel to Downburst, as On The Spur of the Moment feels complete, although in direct comparison to Downburst the material isn’t as strong.

The best moments on this release would have to be housed in tracks such as the brilliant “In These Walls” which is without a doubt the highlight and stands as one of the band’s ultimate numbers. Largely ballad-esque and introspective, a melancholic piano piece drives the track, especially the chorus and is absolute magic. “Dark Life” does a good job at kicking up some of that aggressive Brainstorm magic, and shows the band still have teeth many years after their creation. “Where Your Actions Lead You To Live” is another corker of a fast paced number, and it wouldn’t have surprised me to hear this song featured on Metus Mortis or even Soul Temptation. Rounding out the highlights would have to be “My Own Hell” which starts out in ballad format but develops into a monster sounding like a long lost track from Downburst.

On The Spur Of The Moment only really suffers in the sense that it isn’t as good as the last two albums, however it’s definitely a slight more enjoyable than Ambiguity and as much as it pains me to say, even Liquid Monster. Similar to the all encompassing magic of Downburst this would be a good introduction to the band if you can spot it for a good price. The bonus of starting with On The Spur Of The Moment first would be that if you do enjoy this album, you can rest assured that there are a load of brilliant albums to visit in their back catalogue. Until next time Brainstorm, stay forever awesome!