Only a debut? I wouldn't have thought so! - 93%

DreamScapeArson, November 28th, 2006

An excellent album...no doubt about that. Why is it so? It is a record that contains the blistering, frantic pace of grindcore while frequent tempo changes are among the never ceasing technical elements of technical death metal. The vocals range from gutteral lows to the piercing screams of a banshee, as heard in "Swine Slaughter". While Dylan's guitar work runs and taps away through countless patterns, the bass is preforming amazing runs and technical sections. What could a metal act be without a brutal drummer? Nothing, and that is why Marco was an easy fit into the band. His unrelenting speed never lets your ears catch a nap. Why is this a ride you should climb aboard? Come and see...

The lyrics aren't the strongest I've read, but pack a simplistic punch. Ranging from cars ruining the earth in "The Parasites" to the killing of cops as they're described to be useless, power wielding goons in "Swine Slaughter". Perhaps you have wondered why a band would write about force-feeding someone human shit? It isn't so. Again, it is a simple yet effective lyric which is directed towards the media dishing out eternal plates of lies to the public. Are you waiting for your fix of blood and gore? Have no fear, "Consumed By The Dead" and "The Depths Of Darkness" have your fix and then some. Typically gore story lyrics with brutal vocals to bring it to life. Again, simple yet effective is our theme for the lyrics, but why write lyrics without complex meaning? The voice... it can impact a song in many ways, plus can you really understand most harsh vocals? The gutterals will drag you under throughout songs, only to have a section of piercing screams send an electric current through your ears!

The electric current running through your body has only begun! The frantic guitar work is a work of art. With a handful of heavy chord sections, Dylan manages to fuse plenty of technical death type runs, arrpegios and tapping sections which change position at the crack of a whip. Melody isn't the main goal, but there are plenty of moments where it shines with various riffs, leads and such. The intro in "Revelation" is an extremely melody driven trem picked riff which leads to a heavy sections, but back into a melodic moment, then the brutality returns in unison with brutal gutterals and Marco's drumming.

All this time, the bass has been running wild. This EP has some of the most amazing bass work I've witnessed in my life. After watching (now bassist) Jeff play this work live, I was blown away. Again, position shifts, two handed tapping and runs which are finger picked at 285 bpm flawlessly! It being easily heard throughout this record is great.

Another strength is Marco's drumming, as I've pointed out several times. This man blasts at the speed of light. He lays down countless blast beats throughout the record, but doesn't bring the most technical approach. Is that even needed? Not really, as he contributes every second of the recording of each song. The beats are varied, tasty and very catchy. Catchy seems to be a rarity among extreme metal drumming, but most people would be able to listen and enable the frantic, catchy work he has put forth.

What is wrong with this perfect image? There isn't much, but the gutteral lows could be better. This was recorded with an earlier vocalist. Steve wasn't near what Andre Cornejo did live when I saw them. Again, very good, but just a fine point where the band has taken a step foward with Andre joining. There are moments were the guitar or bass is muddy among the overall sound, but hardly ever. Some will complain the drumming is pure speed, but it isn't meant to bring mindblowing technicality.

Overall-
It is one of the best extreme debut records I've heard. With only 6 songs to their credit, Brain Drill landed with a gig opening for Cannibal Corpse. They must be something right!
If you're a fan of technical death, grindcore or a fusion of both in this case, check this EP out.