Kinda repetative - 60%

SnipeBob, December 24th, 2003

Bolt Thrower’s newest release starts with a bang, literally. The sound of mortar fire and machine guns are heard at the beginning of the first track titled Contact – Wait Out. HVP isn’t the most brutal or heaviest death metal album out there; it’s more of a mid tempo death metal. This makes HVP great music to head bang to; it’s definitely chock full of enough riffs to keep you going. The problem is, after listening to this album several times, I can see how some have labeled Bolt Thrower as being boring or dull. Each song on HVP sounds similar to each other. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, since the music is decent, but the longevity of an album this is questionable.

I don’t want to sound too harsh though, because there are several songs highlights. 7th Offensive opens up with a nice guitar lead, which make me think that there should have been more guitar solos on the album. The title track was spilt into three, and each of them are respectable songs, but it’s more of the same feeling. Lyrically, it’s nice to see something other than the average blood, gore, Satan themes. Bolt Thrower’s theme is that of war, and the lyrics describe what the battlefield is like without being overly graphic.

Its sounds as though I am really ragging on HVP, but I do enjoy listening to it. Adding more variety to the riffs would have helped immensely. Bolt Thrower has been around for a while, and they have released a number of albums. HVP is the only one I currently own, but I am unsure of whether I should try any of their earlier material if it’s anything similar to this. You could say that they are consistent, but some innovation is necessary to keep material fresh.

Highs: Good riffs; battle sounds are nice; decent lyrics

Lows: Lack of solos; repetitive

Final Comment: Not a bad choice if you are looking for some standard death metal. Don’t expect to be extremely impressed, though.