More of the same, which is not a bad thing. - 80%

Ktulu, January 9th, 2003

Well, Bolt Thrower are back with another headbang-inducing war-fest, and it's just as glorious as it has been in recent years. As soon as I threw this album on for the first time an evil smile crept across my face, and as soon as the second track, "Inside the Wire" blasted out, that smile turned into diabolical laughter -- and I was in the mall!

HVP, like most Bolt Thrower albums, locks into that relentless 'tank plowing through a Limp Bizkit concert' groove and doesn't veer off of that very often. This does two things. One, it makes it kind of easy to lose yourself in the album and get a little bored. Two, it makes for some kick-ass stuff that you can basically throw on any track and immediately start fucking shit up. So, depending on what kind of a mood you're in, HVP could seriously wreck your neck.

As for the especially strong points on this solid album, I find "Inside the Wire", "7th Offensive", "A Hollow Truce" and the HVP trilogy to be the most chaotic and inspired songs. New vocalist Dave Ingraham does an excellent job here, filling in seamlessly from departed vocalist Karl Willets. The new drummer also does an excellent job (his name escapes me at the moment) and adds a little bit more speed to the already powerful BT machine.

Overall, if you're already a fan of Bolt Thrower, you will like this. If you didn't like Mercenary or For Victory, then you should probably steer clear of this, but I'm not sure who the hell would have a problem with this album in the first place.