© 2002-2016

Is this Blut Aus Nord ?! - 93%

DSOfan97, April 24th, 2016

Blut Aus Nord are a band that offer a lot to their listeners. We had the chance of hearing them experiment with dissonance, melody, clean vocals, trip hop, ambient and even post metal. And then just like that, all those experiments came together and with the addition of Vindsval's eclectic taste and exceptional talent, Cosmosophy came to life. Usually when a band goes so far away from its roots the fans are divided in two fields. The ones that love it and the ones that hate it. With Cosmosophy that only happened partially... For instance in this website, the album has been receiving mixed reviews. I am by no means judging the other reviewers, just trying to bring an example to the table... However there are many fans that long for an album like Cosmosophy.

This band has always had a strong personality, releasing groundbreaking album after groundbreaking album. And trust me there are moments in their discography that are as heavy as it gets. This album however is without a doubt the most heavy sounding of all. It is slow paced with guitars heavier than a million albums and a drum machine that creates an eerie rhythm section. Also there is a thick layer of keyboards that enforces the album's industrial feeling. But at the end of the day, only two things can battle for the title of the most amazing component of the album. The guitar melodies and harmonies and Vindsval's clean vocals. The former feature some of those leads that only occur once in a band's discography, ranging from fierce soloing to spine-chilling slides. The latter were a surprise for me. I knew Vindsval could do clean vocals but not in such an amazing manner! He almost sings his lungs off, being too loud but not obtrusively loud. On the contrary his performance is beyond passionate, especially in Epitome XVII. I still think his vocal performance in Memoria Vetusta III is superior, but this one caught me completely off guard. The lyrics are not THAT great but they do work. If we only had them in full I could be more (or less) convinced about it. If you have no problem with wall-of-text lyrics or extremely minimal two-line lyrics (for a nine minute song), then congratulations this album is destined to be in your CD player! But seriously the musical part makes it even so you won't have any problem absorbing it.

As you can probably tell this album stands out for me. It is more diverse than one could hope for and seriously, who would say no to an album of such magnitude? I have said it before, Blut Aus Nord simply cannot let me down but this is beyond expectations. Highly emotional and definitely a grower, it is a must for every fan of melodic metal, post-metal, shoegaze and even classic black metal. And there you go with another awesome result that Cosmosophy might have. It can push you to explore different genres and broaden your horizons. Without a doubt, buy at first sight.

Favorite tracks: You know what? I think I'll go with 'All of them!'. Except for 'Epitome XV' but I am not so sure about that.

93/100.

this ends the overthought journey - 69%

RapeTheDead, September 8th, 2015

I guess it's sort of understandable why this got much less attention than even the two albums that followed before it. When you put out three full albums in the span of a year and they get more focused on ambiance as time goes on, people are going to quickly lose interest. It's just too much material to sink your teeth into in such a short period of time. If the albums had been released in the reverse order they were (i.e. if Cosmosophy was the first album put out in the trilogy), I feel like this would have gotten at least a little bit more attention, because holy shit there's some weird ass stuff on here. Not even the good kind of weird, either.

The main thing I can say about this: it has an atmosphere. I'm not really sure what specific kind of atmosphere it's supposed to be, because Blut Aus Nord always couch their music in meta-physico-philosophical sort of stuff that has a lot of symbols and big words in it, but it's there. The sound on this album is pretty cohesive, clear and unified, even moreso than the other two albums in this series. This isn't nearly as overloaded with offputting, dissonant riffs that sound like they're being warped by the fabric of spacetime, as as such it's probably the easiest of the 777 albums to get into right off the bat. That being said, if this were your introduction to Blut Aus Nord in general, you'd probably wonder why this band gets revered by so many people because that bizarre spoken word chanting thing in Epitome XV one of the most odd things I've ever heard. It's surrounded by some decent music that almost manages to make it convincing, but at the end of the day it still sounds a little bit silly. Maybe I just haven't suspended my disbelief enough, but maybe I shouldn't have to go to such lengths.

This does have a much more spacious feel than any other albums that aren't primarily black metal in Blut Aus Nord's discography, mostly due to the prevalence of the clean vocal choirs. With its many layers of subtly shifting harmony, you can definitely tell the intent of Cosmosophy was to be the grandiose release that the previous two albums spent building up. It works about as well as you'd suspect an idea that pompous would: not very. It's definitely the best of its trilogy, don't get me wrong, but making an entire album of nothing but climax sort of diminishes the climactic effect by its nature. I mean, I'm definitely glad that this three-album series is filled with material denser than your average release on I, Voidhanger, but although there's probably enough going on to keep you interested at any given moment isolated within the 777 series, the actual progression of the songs is very, very slow, and as such it the series end up sounding cooler in idea than they are in execution. Even with the rapping and the odd beats and the more inviting character the riffs have on Cosmosophy, it still just manages to drag on and on and on.

I really do like this band, they're an all-time favorite even, but not everything Vindsval touches turns to gold. Sure, you can see his unique little twists in everything he writes, but it seems that a lot of people seem to think his unique perspective means that everything he writes is genius by default. It's easy enough to follow that trap, but for all the careful construction that seems to have gone into this 777 series, the music ultimately didn't really fill the shoes of the concept. Or maybe it did, and I just didn't understand it because the concept itself was a little too overthought. In either case, Cosmosophy (and the rest of the 777 series by extension) serves as little more than something to give a curiosity listen if you've heard the Memoria Vetusta series way too many times. I liked Cosmosophy the most out of the albums in the 777 series, but it's also the least representative of the extramusical concept behind everything. If you're looking for a place to start in this series, I would give The Desanctification a look because it represents a sort of middle ground. As far as Cosmosophy goes, though, all you really need to do is give "Episode XV" a listen for its offputting weirdness, because that's pretty much as interesting as it gets on this one and if you can't suspend your disbelief while that goddamn spoken word shit is happening, you probably won't be able to stand the rest of this album for very long either.

Three stars and fourth from two halves - 80%

Mealann, May 26th, 2014

Cosmosophy is the epilogue of "777" trilogy served by French avantgarde black metal mastermind Vindsval in 2011 and 2012 year. Each album of this concept is different, beginning in a dissonant realm of industrial-influenced black metal, slowly progressing towards clean and structured atmospheric black metal style with usage of electronic flavors and epic songwriting. This is Cosmosophy. If I was to rate particular tracks, some of them would receive 100%. Without a doubt, if anyone is capable of transcending actually existing trends and aesthetics, it's Vindsval. He did it again and I'm sure he's going to do it at least few times more. What's the scar on this album, then?

It's not a consistent release. Paraphrasing, it doesn't really have "the album feeling". Even though it's not meant to be considered as a standalone work, but rather a continuation of two previous ones, it doesn't really follow them, as for example Epitome VII follows Epitome VI. Dissonant ending of Epitome XIII on "777 - Desanctification" fathomed a comeback to chaotic style of "777 - Sect(s)". What we received, is pinkfloydish variation of Blut aus Nord's unique style, which isn't by any means bad, unless one expects something as dark as MoRT or as metal as "Memoria Vetusta" series - he's gonna be disappointed.

To the point. The album feels light, bright, epic and positive, of course maintaining the mystic vibe of this project. For the first time, there is a little of growls. Most of the lyrics (which are not published) are sung. Guitars and programmed drums sound like Blut aus Nord always used to sound. Atmospheric black metal flavored with ambiance and subtle layers of keyboards with trip-hopish drum samples in industrial and non-linear rhythm. "Epitome XIV", "Epitome XVI" and "Epitome XVII" are literally like Pink Floyd turning atmospheric industrial metal. Very melodic, aesthetic, serene, passionate, with a vibe of melancholy. These tracks are absolutely outstanding by any means, hooking the listeners from the first second until they end. "Epitome XVII" has one of the most epic and emotional endings I have ever heard in music. Granted.

But there are two other tracks... "Epitome XV" and "Epitome XVIII". The latter is more similar in shape to the three aforementioned masterpieces. What's the issue? A bit too outstretched. Plus it feels like an attempt to re-capture "Procession of the Dead Clowns" from "The Work Which Transfrorms God". Not as captivating as the original, yet the similarity is striking. "Epitome XV" feels on the other hand, totally out of place. It is the most intriguing piece Blut aus Nord has ever released and I must admit, I was pretty mad when I first heard the album. Vindsval reads a manifest in French on top of a calm, yet slightly unpleasant ambiance. Last part of the track feels like pure Desanctification, but the damage is already done. Matter of tastes, but seriously - it fits everywhere but on "777" trilogy.

In short, tracks and moments on this album are spectacular if you prefer atmospheric metal rather than industrial darkness. Still, it's not as good as a whole, as one might expect before the release.

Cruise Control - 60%

CrimsonFloyd, September 29th, 2012

If you’ve experienced enough trilogies, you know the pattern. The first installment is awesome, the second one decent but disappointing and by the third installment barely anyone gives a damn. A few years ago Blut Aus Nord began the ambitious 777 trilogy. The series started out with the startling Sect(s), which combined knotted dissonant progressions with royal passages of melodious darkness, resulting in Blut Aus Nord’s best release since 2003’s The Work Which Transforms God. Part two, The Desanctification was less twisted and aggressive, and instead focused on melodies and atmosphere. Certainly a less adventurous album, but nonetheless a quality recording. As you might have inferred, the final chapter of the trilogy,Cosmosophy isn’t exactly a riveting conclusion to the series.

Cosmosophy consists of a number of sweeping, slowly developing pieces of atmospheric metal grounded in big, harmonic riffs. The leads are bright yet depressive, recalling goth rock acts such as Sisters of Mercy. The swerving, choppy patterns of drum machine are distinctly industrial. Referring to Cosmosophy as “black metal” would be more a product of habit then an accurate reflection of what Blut Aus Nord have created. Other than a small number of high pitched growls, there are no black metal elements on the Cosmosophy.

While most of the music is solid, the vocals are very poor. Vindsval pulls out all the stops here—singing, growling, chanting and even rapping. Regardless of the style Vindsval employs, the end result is bad. The clean vocals are flat and a little strained while the growls are excessively purple, sounding like ghouls and goblins from Saturday morning cartoons. The rap passage is especially embarrassing: Vindsval‘s flow is mechanical and clunky while the beat is lazy and clichéd.

Generally the music is nice, if unspectacular. Tracks like “Epitome XIV” and “Epitome XVII” create soothing atmospheres that slowly pass by like clouds being moved by a mild wind. “Epitome XVIII” contains a darker progression that is that is quite hypnotizing. However, in the same way that cloud watching can begin as a soothing pastime, but eventually become inundating, Cosmosophy tends to descend into stretches of completely anonymous ambiance. This is most obvious during the mediocre clean passages that open and close many of the songs but at times spills over into the metallic passages.

Sadly, the 777 trilogy has become less enthralling every step of the way. More pertinently, the excellence of Sect(s) is looking evermore like an aberration. Blut Aus Nord is proving itself to be like one of those directors who release enough standout movies to remain in the limelight but more often than not releases run of the mill films. We’ll all keep checking in with Blut Aus Nord, hoping for that next blockbuster, but based on the band’s track record, we should not be surprised when we get half-baked ideas like Cosmosophy.

Originally written for deafsparrow.com

Blut Aus Nord – 777 – Cosmosophy - 50%

Asag_Asakku, September 24th, 2012

When an artist positions himself at a movement’s forefront, he’s condemned to excel. His work is primarily based on an extremely fertile creativity that allows him to renew itself constantly, without ever becoming insipid or repetitive. This is a path that very few individuals are able to follow, as it is demanding. Yet it is the perilous route taken by Vindsval, leader of French band Blut Aus Nord. Their exceptional discography abounds in experiments, crosses and collages of all kinds, with a music located on the edge of madness, gathering countless influences in a twisted polyphonic and disturbing black metal. After several successful releases, detaining a solid fan base, the group started in 2011 an ambitious triptych called 777, a number with powerful esoteric connotations. After Sect (s) and The Desanctification, both published last year, the cycle ends with Cosmosophy.

First two albums adopted a new and unexpected stylistic trend, leading to almost complete denudated songs. These revolved around a handful of riffs and sounds, repeated in loops, slightly coated by keyboards and ambience effects. This approach is even more blatant 777 third and last part. Epitome XIV, which opens the album, comes down to a few guitar chords and echoed drumming. Atmosphere is quiet, restrained, and never releases any aggression. This is a frame that will be repeated throughout every following title.

However, I will be honest and transparent. I disliked this album. Its packaging is sumptuous and a few creativity flashes cross it, but it remains mostly linear and boring. It is a bitter fact for me, who appreciate the audacity of Blut Aus Nord first albums. This band was able to develop an extremely dense and unhealthy atmosphere, of which there is almost no trace on Cosmosophy. Rather, a title like Epitome XVII has much more similarities with new wave / age than black metal! And I admit that the long and grandiloquent Epitome XV’s recitative annoyed me to the point of skipping it every time I listened the album.

To create a full trilogy made of eighteen songs with a ridiculously short schedule was maybe too difficult to handle. Cosmosophy is struggling to keep listener’s interest throughout its forty minutes. In addition, band moves away from its black metal roots to move closer towards dark / ambient / electro, a path that I do not want to follow. Pity. 5/10

Originally written for Métal Obscur.

Blut aus Nord 777 - Cosmosophy - 83%

Avestriel, September 22nd, 2012

Blut Aus Nord has a way of synthesizing and revitalizing elements of past albums with each new release, as if it were a software upgrade. I used to think Memoria Vetusta II was the pinnacle of this phenomenon, reuniting the style of their early works with the relentless, lifeless (in a good way) industrial experimentation of the works which made them a household name in black metal.

In comes the third and final installment of the 777 series, entitles Cosmosophy, which can be translated as the study or knowledge of the Universe. Now, concept aside, since I have little to no way of knowing what went through Vindsval's mind while planning, designing and ultimately recording and releasing this trilogy, I can imagine it revolves around the philosophical deconstruction of religion, particularly Christendom, not very much unlike their countrymates Deathspell Omega. But while the latter's approach to the subject tends to be much more muscular in the music department and cerebral in the lyrical department, BAN takes a much less literal, much more metaphorical and therefore ethereal approach to christian deconstruction. This is evidenced both in lyrics and in the music itself, which is what I'm here to discuss.

As hinted on the introductory paragraph, this album contains a bit of almost everything they've done so far. The clean melancholy of both Memoria Vetustas, the heavy industralisaton of their latter works, the juxtaposed guitars singing hymns of dissonance of MBOR and TWWTAG and the eerie, damp, melted and melting exosphere of MoRT and Odinist. But fear not, for this albums is more than a rehash of all the characteristics that make this one of the most intriguing bands in the metal scene, regardless of subgenre.

Out of the three volumes, this is arguably the eeriest; the strangest. Never before, not even with TWWTG or the sadly overlooked MoRT (although they sure come close), has BAN made such strange music. Because, sure, those albums I mentioned are strange. They were both very much revolutionary when they were released, but ultimately the very nature of the music, the instrumentation, the approach, were not exactly extraterrestrial. The case is the same here, except this album counts with the very, very effective element of surprise. In this album you won't really find the fiery prowess of MBOR or the first installment of this trilogy (in my opinion, the two best BAN albums if what you want is to be swarmed by a relentless collection of amazing, fast riffage and blastbeating madness), nor will you find the frankly alien, dissonant guitar and muddy, undead production and execution of MoRT or Odinist (the two best BAN albums if what you want is to have your conception of metal -of music- deconstructed, diluted in acid and thrown up on your face). You'll find something very similar to the previous installment, "The Desanctification": Slow, heavy, dragging and emotionally exhausting melodies backed by solemn keyboards.

But there's a twist.

What if I told you that, after a brief albeit slow and pondering riff, the first thing that greets you when you listen to this album is a cybernetic choir of clean, french vocals? What if I told you that the second track is introduced by electronic noise and holds electronic influences throughout the track, bordering on a very UK Garage-y vibe but with the guitars taking care of the melody, punctuated by what sounds to me like little samples forming a rhythmic pattern? The third, and second longest track brings back some of the dissonant uneasiness of yore, in a very mechanized and careless, emotionless fashion (again, that's not a bad thing), that reminds me of the slower, chugging moments of albums like Darkspace's "II". The musicianship is fantastic, because it never gets stale. They don't repeat any particular riff or rhythm long enough for it to become boring, yet there's absolutely no "math" wankery to be found. Possibly because the average tempo is too slow to allow such gimmicks.

The production is very much in the same vein as the first two volumes of the trilogy, as is to be expected, but with a slightly more sophisticated edge. I suppose they needed to adopt new strategies when dealing with the (at first) unsettling amount of "clean" vocals throughout the album (that is, clean vocals that have obviously been processed in a manner that wouldn't be out of place on a progressive house album, although thankfully they knew better than to ram them into the front; they're slightly scarce, and very much in tune with the music, which always takes the spotlight).

So there it is: The closer of this unholy trinity is not just a melting pot of the many flavours the band has offered over the years, but also an opportunity to bring new, perhaps a bit alienating, angles and ideas to the table, all in the name of pushing boundaries until they shatter. The clean-ish vocals and brief electronic elements might alienate some of the more tr00kvlt kiddies out there, but I can't help wondering why they keep listening to an explicitly experimental band if all they want is to hear yet another Transilvanian Hunger clone.

Once all is said and done, I feel something has to be said: This is not their most groundbreaking, mindblowig album to date. As is to be expected with trilogies, or any homogenous work that stretches over two or move volumes, this is both a continuation and a conclusion. You won't get caught with your guard down as long as you've been paying attention to the band's works, yet (as long as you're not completely disenchanted) you'll find enough moments to snap out of the trance-inducing groove to mutter "hey whoa". There's much to be un-expected from this peculiar, mostly instrumental and ambiance-drenched trilogy closer.

As a final note, this album will surely disappoint those who felt Desanctification sorely lacked the raw anger, energy and choleric riffing Sect(s) offered, but for those who are keen on musical exploration and sound experimentation will find reward in this, possibly the oddest BAN release since MoRT, in my humble opinion.