Blotted's got buzz - 100%

ioioio, November 2nd, 2011

How could Blotted Science top their immaculate debut? With a little extra shot of Ron Jarzombek's mad genius, that's how.

When the concept for this album was announced, namely that the songs would be synced to bug movies, I have to say I was a little concerned. As creative and wonderfully-executed as Jarzombek's "A Wild Hare" and "The Cereal Mouse" cartoon-synced scores were on the Spastic Ink records, I had no desire to listen to them more than once and without the accompanying film they made little to no sense. Well, the ep's out and it has to be said, Ron has pulled his most ambitious project to date out of the bag.

This time Jarzombek and Webster are joined by Obscura drummer Hannes Grossmann who handles the intense technicality flawlessly. I need say nothing about Jarzombek and Webster as the names alone speak for themselves. There are plenty of sections that wonderfully expose the mastery of their respective instruments.

To date, only one of the films has been released, namely "Cretaceous Chasm", the insect trench scene from King Kong. The syncing is amazing, and it's more than just scoring in the sense that the music is not just changing pace/style as the scenes change, but every gunshot is worked into the drum part and each sword swing or punch thrown is heard . That said, it absolutely stands alone as a piece of music and isn't just a novelty like "A Wild Hare" was to me.

I don't know what to say. Every second of the ep is pure gold. If you liked Machinations, you should have already stopped reading and bought this. It's Blotted Science with bite if you will.