I am the Dead - 83%

dismember_marcin, April 13th, 2014

There are many old school death metal bands nowadays, many of which play this music in the classic Swedish vein. As with every genre, there are some better and some worse acts, but definitely such bands as Entrails, Puteraeon, Tormented, Bombs of Hades, Graveyard (Spanish hehe!) are among the best. And I can easily add Blood Mortized to this list. This is just awesome band. Two great albums, especially the second CD was brilliant. They also did an excellent EP "Bestial", which I have on the limited to 100 copies cassette. And finally the time came to unleash their third plague, titled "The Demon, the Angel, the Disease". And damn, I am very excited about this album. Anders Biazzi was so kind that he sent me it and right after I finished torturing myself with his another killer band Just Before Dawn, it is Blood Mortized what ruled over my stereo. To explain it as simple as I can: "The Demon, the Angel, the Disease" is a killer album and I love it. For many of you it will be just another album in this style of music, some will probably say that it is nothing special and such album is cool, but no one will remember it in ten years. But I don't care. I feel very passionate and enthusiastic towards "The Demon, the Angel, the Disease" and really fuckin love the record, so I have no such worries. I just know that even in few years time this album will shred and will be a great piece.

I am pretty sure that this album will sound perfect for the maniacs of the rough, aggressive and classic Swedish death metal. I mean there are all the ingredients, which will always make these Swedish albums sound so bloody fantastic. And quality wise Blood Mortized stands above the majority of the bands from this style of music. There are some songs, which are all about the aggression, violence, brutality and headbanging; such as the opening track “Bastard”. It is pure ferocity in the Swedish vein. Also take a listen to “Blessed Are the Dead” – what a nasty fucker. The same can be said about the second song “The Black Flames of Desolation”, although this song contains quite few more melodic riffs / leads, which will resemble you the cult bands such as Desultory, Epitaph, Necrophobic, Macabre End, Goddefied and so on and on. “Noiseterror.08” will on the other hand be a perfect offer for the Grave fanatics (love that melodic theme in the middle of this song!!!). “I am the Dead” will blast like crazy, crushing and ripping with no mercy… but damn, when this song slows down into the mid paced, memorable chorus part I just cannot resist and always scream the lyrics together with Parkkila. More so, this is one of those songs, where I can say that Anders Biazzi shows his amazing skills for composing / playing brilliant melodies… this one being kind of melancholic, but it sounds so damn awesome that it instantly becomes one of the most memorable parts of the entire album. But the thing is that "The Demon, the Angel, the Disease" is filled with many more such fantastic and unforgettable parts. I always love these slower songs the most, when the band turns almost into the doomy beast, with some great classic Swedish melody… but when it blends with the death metal aggression and dark, obscure feeling, then it is just the best thing I could imagine. Songs like “Master of Pain” and “The Black Flames of Desolation” are some of the finest examples for this, but I would especially like to mention “I Leave With Hate”, which is a superb epic death metal tune. I truly love these beautiful melodies and the whole dark, mournful atmosphere of this song.

It may all sound like I’m flattering too much to Blood Mortized, but the thing is that this band, this album – both are just bloody excellent. There may be one or two songs, which are slightly less infectious – like “Dysphoria Dystopia” – but this is nothing major, but just a minor fault. And definitely it is nothing what would affect "The Demon, the Angel, the Disease". In its entirety, this album sounds just great. It has fantastic production, the performance of every member is top notch, so I have nothing to complain about. Definitely if you’re a maniacal freak of bands as Entrails, Puteraeon, Facebreaker, Paganizer, Malfeitor, Smothered, Interment and so on and on, then "The Demon, the Angel, the Disease" is an absolute must to have for you.

Standout tracks: “I Leave With Hate”, “Bastard”, “I am the Dead”, “The Black Flames of Desolation”, “My Soul, Your Flesh”, “Noiseterror.08”

Final rate: 83/100

Swedish death metal done well - 71%

hammersmashedeverything, February 3rd, 2014

It seems a bit silly to call Blood Mortized a Swedish death metal supergroup, but you’d be forgiven for saying that at first glance. All of the members have previously played in already established death metal groups, with varying degrees of success, most notably drummer Pelle Ekegren playing on two Grave albums in the mid-2000’s and guitarist Anders Biazzi being an original member of melodic death metal giants Amon Amarth, playing on their classic debut Once Sent From the Golden Hall. Blood Mortized themselves play a brand of fairly typical Swedish death metal, pioneered by bands like Entombed and Dismember, with bands like Smothered and Entrails keeping the flag raised to this day, and Blood Mortized is a band who does it very well, as proven on their latest album The Demon, The Angel, The Disease.

Opener Bastard is a straight-forward opening track. This is in no way a criticism; it hits the listener in just the right place to get them involved in the album, and it hits that place fast. The violent riffing certainly grabs the attention, and crucially unlike many albums holds it with actually memorable riffs. With a gory b-movie horror music video, this is standard death metal, and it’s enjoyable. As the album progresses though, it becomes clear that isn’t quite as simple as it seems. It’s by no means a melodic death metal album, but The Demon, The Angel, The Disease does have an awful lot of very melodious riffs and guitar lines, like a more vicious incarnation of early Amon Amarth. Anders Biazzi clearly has plenty of those riffs left in him, and they are utilized to great effect here. Probably the most straight-up death metal song here is Noiseterror 08, and it’s also probably the least memorable and most skippable song here. Those melodic leads are clearly an advantage for the band.

The vocals are another key strong point here. Provided by Mattias Parkkila, also of Malfeitor, his voice is perfect for this style. Hoarse and ferocious, yet not too guttural for his voice to not smoothly fit with their mid-range guitar sound and still fairly understandable in terms of the delivery of the lyrics, it’s hard to imagine anyone else’s voice suiting the album in the same way. The songs themselves meanwhile do have some variety. The aforementioned melodic guitar lines move in and out of songs, and the thrashier songs like Bastard are counter-balanced by songs like the mid-paced My Soul, Your Flesh and the steady, unrushed closer I Leave With Hate. This song is of particular note, the band choosing to end the largely aggressive and typically death metal album with a song that’s a lot more resigned. Clean guitars make a rare appearance for the intro, before beginning its slow death march, coated with dramatic, even emotive leads. Even Parkkila moves from playing the part of the terrifying monster to that of the mournful victim. It’s worth noting that most bands playing this style of death metal can’t convey melancholy and genuine affecting emotion this well.

At the end of the day, The Demon, The Angel, The Disease is nothing that any fan of proper death metal hasn’t heard before. What it does do however is take the core ideas that have been there for years, and craft a set of plain great songs with them. Blood Mortized are certainly a band worth looking into, and one who deserve more attention.

Originally written for http://soundandmotionmag.com/