Very Enjoyable Listen - 90%

TerminalTerror28, August 10th, 2008

I got this CD early on into my Blind Guardian days. Before this CD, I wasn't used to Blind Guardian releases being so clean clean. In fact, I was a little hesitant to listen to it. Once I popped it in though, I was instantly drawn to the catchy intro and the really Progressive-80s rock style to it. After Fly, comes the acoustic version of "Skalds and Shadows". Which, oddly enough, seemed to fit very well after the upbeat "Fly". Although acoustic, it has quite an upbeat melody to it. and also is very relaxing. There is a minimal use of drums in this track, and it gives it a much more "warm" feeling. At the end, the In A Gadda Da Vida cover was always very nice. Blind Guardian covers have always appealed to me because of how they manage to capture the style and feel of the song that they're covering, and yet they manage to leave a very "metalized" touch to it. This track is no exception. Although,I found the vocals to be a little unfitting for the music itself, I thought the track as a whole to be very enjoyable.

All in all, I've had this CD for about three years now and I'm still enjoying listening to it now and then very much. I recommend it for any old-school Power Metal and Traditional Metal fan and definitely for any Blind Guardian fan.