I wouldn't fly out to buy this. - 68%

Dark Belial, June 17th, 2011

Overall, this album has good music on it; the new age of Blind Guardian is here, and it's going along well. However, there are a number of problems I see with this particular single, probably the first of which is the version of Skalds and Shadows. Why do an acoustic version of an already fairly light on its feet song? It's not bad, but it's a bit pointless. One of the other major problems with the album is the length of In A Gadda Da Vida; they could've done this song the way it originally was, with around 20 minutes of 60's musical perfection, but instead opted for only around 3 minutes, which considering the genre, is nothing. Also, they didn't put too much of their own spin on it -- it's played with great abilities and a fair amount of power, but there's not much to Hansi's voice in this song. Really, it could either be that it's just not a very good cover for them, or that the song just wasn't right. Of course, this album has the obvious redeeming quality of having Fly as its first track; it's a great one, too. Problem is it's overshadowed by the generally poor quality of the other two songs.

Overall, I'd say don't buy this, just buy A Twist In Myth, as this is a waste of money. It could have been much better if they'd done a better cover and maybe used Dead Sound of Misery as another track, seeing as it's Fly's sister song. But that's just my two cents on the matter, it's up to you to decide in the end.