Powerful and extremely good band - 85%

dismember_marcin, March 3rd, 2012

This EP was supposed to be an appetizer before the second album of Blaze of Perdition, „The Hierophant”, comes out. For me it went the other way around, as I’ve heard the album first and then I decided to purchase also this EP, as I thought it will be a cool addition to my vinyl collection. And definitely it is and I can honestly recommend “The Burning Will of Expansion” to everyone. There are two exclusive and killer songs and if you liked the albums of Blaze of Perdition, then there’s no way this EP will disappoint you.

Both tracks – “Into the Nothingness Divine” and “Zatracenia Blask” – are impressive in every bit. The production is excellent, very tight, powerful and professional, but with this unique ingredient, which makes the atmosphere dark as the darkest pits. I love the riffing of Blaze of Perdition. Sure, it may remind you the Swedish orthodox black metal bands, but who cares, if it’s handled so well and performed with such a passion? There’s fuckin venom and hatred in every second of this music and the whole is very powerful but also relatively melodic and catchy, which is really surprising, but that’s the whole beauty of such playing. Of the two tracks, I like “Zatracenia Blask” slightly more, but “Into the Nothingness Divine” is also really great, it even has a small influence of thrash in few parts I think. Anyway, “The Burning Will of Expansion” is an extremely well performed and written black metal release. I like it a lot and if you’re also a fan of this sort of playing and some specific Swedish bands, then I strongly recommend you getting this EP.

BLAZE OF PERDITION: "The Burning Will of..." - 50%

skaven, December 1st, 2011

Religious devil worship is always welcome to my black metal - as long as it’s done tastefully and not following too closely the footsteps of Deathspell Omega, Watain, Funeral Mist and the likes. Since last year’s split and EP releases, Blaze of Perdition has offered its take on the aforementioned subgenre (if that's an apt term already) and to this date has remained above the average, but only slightly. This applies to their most recent release, The Burning Will of Expansion, as well.

When I first heard Blaze of Perdition’s major debut Towards the Blaze of Perdition, I couldn’t help thinking about Behexen’s most recent works, at least aesthetically. On The Burning Will of Expansion, I am more reminded of Watain with all the dissonance, subtle thrash riffage flirts and Sonneillon’s surprisingly similar screaming style therein. Or more fittingly, this could be said to be a mixture of Massemord and Watain. A good dose of furious blast beats is to be found from here but the band also knows how to slow down yet retaining the evil spirit within. Production-wise, the EP is crispy and professional, yet not as polished as the full-length.

The Burning Will of Expansion ventures convincingly onwards through the two tracks but, as easily can happen, I fail to hear how this really differs from many other releases in the field. I would so love to hear Blaze of Perdition being more daring and not limiting their potential to these compositions that are decent and far from bad, but nothing out of the ordinary. Here’s to hoping that one day Blaze of Perdition will surprise. Additional points for the well-done cover art, however.

2.5 / 5