© 2002-2017

Savage Black/Death Metal - 92%

UncleMeat, February 21st, 2009

This 7” EP is a split between Italy’s Blasphemophagher and Canada’s Necroholocaust. Both of these bands play their own unique take on the bestial black/death metal sound that was created by bands such as Blasphemy, Sarcofago, Abhorer, etc. in the late 80’s. In fact, Necroholocaust shares an old Blasphemy member, Bestial Savior of the Undead Legions, who handles the bass duties of the band. Although the same general aesthetics are present in both bands, both Blasphemophagher and Necroholocaust each add their own unique elements, making it each to differentiate between one from the other.

Side Nuclear (side A), consists of two thermonuclear assaults from the mighty Blasphemophagher. One of the differing factors of Blasphemophagher’s music is the 80’s South American death/thrash influence, stemming from bands such Holocausto, Sextrash, Psychic Possessor, etc. Both songs have a decent of amount tempo changes, which is refreshing compared to bands like Proclamation and Black Witchery who just continuously blast away for an entire album. I’m not saying it bothers me when bands like them do that, because they are able to pull it off, but it’s just refreshing when a band comes along who knows how to add some variety to their sound while still sounding equally as aggressive as bands who don’t.

Side Goat (side B), contains the two Necroholocaust songs, and all I can say is… wow. I was already familiar with Blasphemophagher’s music before picking up this release, so I knew what to expect, as opposed to Necroholocaust who I had never heard of before. However, my hopes were indeed high, mostly due to their connection with the mighty Blasphemy. But still, I was not expecting it to be THIS good. This is some of the most brutal and hostile black/death to have come out ever since this genre reemerged in the early 2000’s. Like the other bands within this genre, Necroholocaust play savagely and bestially, but in a manner that is quite seldom nowadays. Like Blasphemophagher, the band incorporates a lot of time changes, but in this case only on the second song, but still, it is enough to keep you intrigued throughout. The riffing is exquisite and brutal, the vocals are deep and guttural, the bass is a low end force not to be reckoned with, and the drums are a malicious wall of noise. Put all this together and you have yourself some mighty fine bestial black/death.

This is a great split EP, and I highly, HIGHLY, recommend this to anyone into this sound and owns a turntable, or at least has access to one in one way or another. That, or download it. Just try to obtain a copy of this on any format available to you, and by any means necessary.