Vacuum cleaning in an (evil) cathedral. - 35%

caspian, November 27th, 2008

That strange fellow behind Black Tribe is at it again; I wish he’d spend more time going all cosmic with Alpha Drone but oh well. As it stands I don’t really know what to make of this bit of work; I’ve heard worse and it’s kinda atmospheric but as far as dark ambient pieces go there’s a lot of things out there that are much better.

The production would be the main thing that kills it; nothing wrong with blurriness and a sense of the hidden, but that doesn’t mean you should obscure a song under 50 or 60 reverb plug ins. For one it doesn’t sound that great and it’s just a fairly lazy way to make things sound spooky and ethereal. Pro tip for those keen on making dark ambient: get a grind core song, pitch shift it down 4 octaves (so it’s 8 times slower then the original, too) and add a heap of reverb. I’m pretty sure there’s been a fair bit more effort put into this, what with all the sweeping tones and moans just hidden below the surface. It’s hard to tell, though, because all you hear for the most part is a heap of wooooosh and massive reverb plug in overkill.

This record, if I’m being honest, kind of stinks. It is incredibly boring, and the lack of any real sustained tones throughout the piece makes it harder to real get into any droned out sort of modes; you just sit there and look confused, then start fidgetting until the song ends. It’s annoying because throughout the record the tones and strange atmospheres tease about the tantalising prospects on offer; if only the note would go on for a little bit longer, if only there was a bit more treble, if only there was another layer or two. I wouldn’t really recommend this, go get the ‘07 promo by these guys instead.