Too cheap to buy the first four huh? - 85%

OlympicSharpshooter, August 26th, 2004

Well step on down brother, because here's your chance to be too cheap to buy the real albums, which up to this point are all more than worth owning. So yeah, this really does have all the songs Sabbath would ever be known for by the layman, heavily depending on the romping, stomping early records. Fully fifteen of these seventeen are from the first four, meaning you get a lonely two from Sabbath's very best Ozzy records, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage.

I can't question most of these choices, "Black Sabbath", "Paranoid", "Iron Man", "War Pigs", "Children of the Grave", and "Sweet Leaf" their primary source of income, this collection for the most part too concerned with the bonafide hits (or at least songs with lots of airplay, Sabbath didn't have hits really) for album tracks, and when it tries to cover some it fails miserably. Why the hell is "Laguna Sunrise" on here? And furthermore, why is it on about 80% of the Sabbath compilations? It's nothing! If I asked you to pick "Laguna Sunrise" out of a line-up to the average guy, well, good luck man. Hell, I even understand including total shit like "Am I Going Insane" because it was an advance single, and the album was out prior to Sabotage.

If you're gonna own one Sabbath, be a man and pick one of the records. If you don't have the balls, this is likely the cheapest compilation. However, if you grab the remaster it's two discs, and there are better compilations out there. So, buyer be reasonably aware.

Stand-Outs: Goddamit, I can't pick.