Sabbath goes to video, hilarity ensues - 81%

IrishDeathgrip, February 20th, 2008

So, I was given this VHS by a friend of mine who didn' feel like he really needed it any longer. Well, what the hell, I figured, no reason not to take it, I love Black Sabbath. So take it I did. Took it home and forgot about it for a good long while.

When I finally did pop it in my player, i found two things... The first was that Black Sabbath's music videos were hilarious, and the second was that the rare live footage on here was purely amazing.

We first get to see a live rendition of NIB (a song that, by this point, I'm sure NONE of us are sick of... right). Now, this song sounds great on the album but LIVE... well, it sounds great, because they played it almost directly from the album, solos and all. Not always great, but it fits here. Then we get to hear some alternating interview clips from Tony and Geezer. These are gold, because they tell some nice little anecdotes about the heyday in Sabbath, featuring a quip about Tony Iommi fried on hash, and trying to play a flute in front of a huge audience in concert... without putting it up to his lips.

Back to the video... There are two videos worth mentioning on here, that are not live, but were music videos. The first is Paranoid, and if you haven't seen it yet RUN! NOW! Because it's one of the most essential 70s videos in the history of 70s videos. We've got psychedelic wheels spinning in the walls, we have cameras zooming in and out at an alarming, and we got four band members wearing bellbottoms... genius. The second is Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, and that's one for the books. Just watch it, you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, focusing more on the music available... the live tracks are great, a real treat, and my favorite comes on next. War Pigs, with some of the original lyrics still intact. Alot of people aren't cognizant of the fact that Ozzy used to sing the song about witches and black masses instead of making a slight allusion to such subject matter. Here it seems like he's improvising and can't decide which to focus on... still a great video.

The last high point I will focus on is the song Snowblind... a live version of this song is always a treat, but to see them stumbling about the stage, Ozzy smiling and clapping all the while, yelling cocaine... man it's good.

All in all it's a great video, but there isn't much to it aside from a few high points, which I mentioned here. To the Black Sabbath pack-rat it's a definite must, but due to it's rarity, I'd just try for a DVD set of every volume.