The devil and his daughter look a little lonely. - 78%

hells_unicorn, May 19th, 2009

There is little doubt in my mind that this song deserved its own single, but what I doubt very much is the rationale behind releasing a one-sided single. When considering the amazing songs that could have been up for being a b-side off the “Headless Cross“ release, most particularly the underrated, straightforward rocking with a hint of doom “Kill In The Spirit World”, it just doesn’t make any sense. Nonetheless, aside from the loneliness that “Devil And Daughter” suffers from on here, there isn’t really much to complain about.

What is heard here is an epic 80s reinterpretation of the driving, swinging triplet brand of heavy metal that this band pioneered about 18 years ago in “Children Of The Grave”. Naturally 80s epic has a lot of ramifications to consider, most particularly a heavy keyboard presence, high operatic vocals that go as high as Ronnie Dio but are all but perfectly clean, and a faster and less formulaic approach to guitar soloing. In fact, the guitar solo heard on here rivals just about everything that Iommi has put out, perhaps only being outclassed by the wild shredding heard on the closing song of this album “Nightwing”.

If you are crazy enough and rich enough to actually try and find the original pressing of this, I wish you luck, but there really isn’t a point. It’s an absolutely amazing song but there are so many other places where you can get it, including one of the several Tony Martin era compilations floating around out there, that you’d be better served by just picking up in CD form. Technically this single release could be seen as a cash grab, but given how great the song is, I can’t punish it too harshly.