Black Fast - Starving Out The Light - 95%

Orbitball, November 8th, 2014
Written based on this version: 2013, CD, Independent

Pretty technical thrash album first time around here in the metal scene--one could coin them to be progressive thrash or blackened thrash genres. Not to get too caught up in styles that they play, I'll just say they're technical thrash because these songs are not so easily played out except by the originators. Their energy is fierce, unique blend of riffs that are rather captivating being on an independent label. Very very promising act--they have their whole future in the metal scene right before us. 7 songs here with about a length of a little over 30 minutes. Definitely worth checking out.

If you're familiar with the band Vektor, then you'll hear some similarities in style, but Black Fast has their own unique riffing going on. Aside from the sort of flat production quality, the guitars are simply amazing. There are instances where some songs are just so darn catchy, yet not without innovation because it's definitely there. I didn't much dive into their lineup or lyrics, I mostly have analyzed their music and their vocals consist of screaming mostly in their own style. There is an acoustic instrumental on here that's rather noteworthy and unique.

I'd say the biggest thing that sets this band apart from just regular thrash metal is the construction of how the riffs go--there are gallops (analyzing guitar melodies), slower chord progressions, riffs that travel all over the fret-board and mostly songs that contain a good amount of catchy vibes that you get here which stick. The solos are highly technical and they do a good job of playing them through flawlessly. Not to dive too far into guitar lingo, but really these guys hack it when it comes to that department. The only drawback is the production which will most likely change in the future!

All in all, Black Fast is a technical thrash metal band that just dominates this genre. The music is the most original and catchy while the vocals go well along with their melodies. All of the instruments are well mixed, just that production is flat. I really enjoyed all of the songs--the wasn't any on there that I'd dismiss and say "nah, this doesn't hit home" or "let's skip over this one." ALL of the songs are good and nothing here is unoriginal that I can hear. I'd say one of the best thrash releases in 2013. You can go to their band camp site and get this or find it on YouTube. Get this now!

Starving Out the Light - A must have thrash album - 95%

BurningPentagram, April 28th, 2014

I discovered Black Fast by trying to find similar bands to Vektor. I was not disappointed. Black Fast’s release “Starving Out the Light” is a must have for fans of blackened/progressive thrash. If you enjoy Havok, Hexen, Skeletonwitch, Vektor, or Death, then this is a must have (yes, I know Death is not thrash, but you will still like Black Fast if you like them).

Every single track on this album is phenomenal. Black Fast are clearly talented musicians and songwriters. The guitar tone is sharp and very appropriate for the album. The guitars also have riffs after riffs after riffs and this album will have you headbanging and air guitaring. The drumming sounds full and precise. The bass is present and has great tone. The vocals are consistently good and reminiscent of Chuck Schuldiner. The mixing is superb. Basically, “Starving Out the Light” sounds like a professionally recorded album, up there with any other big band.

In terms of composition, Black Fast have in a mere 32 minutes proven to be masterful songwriters. They seriously have chops. They manage to have coherent structure while not getting boring or repetitive. It is not just a bunch of cool riffs stitched together in some sort of Frankenstein monstrosity. The songs are clearly regarded as a whole. If you need one song to prove it, just listen to “Obelisk", especially the riff from 05:12 to 05:42. Absolutely brilliant. My only complaint is the acoustic interlude “Lost Between Worlds” feels more 36 seconds of filler time than anything else.

The solos on the album deserve special mention. They occupy a nice space of being melodic and fitting in with the song structure (no pointless fret-wanking), but also are seriously full of shredding.

As cliché as it is to say it, “Starving Out the Light” will leave you wanting more. One can only hope that Black Fast can concoct another amazing full-length. Buy this album and support this band! It will be well worth your money and they truly deserve it.