© 2002-2016

Bludwulf - Cryptic Revelations - 95%

mentalselfmutilation, July 14th, 2009

Nearly flawless metal punk! I first heard this about a 1 year ago and I have to admit, of all the albums to come out in 2007, hell even since then this is easily one of the most classic records I have come across. People always argue and complain about the lack of ingenuity that comes with your average metal band, claiming that most modern bands are not original, they obviously have not heard bludwulf.

With their roots planted firmly in horror/death punk and traditional metal styles, bludwulf has incorporated a sound very unlike any other band in this current day and age, and was easily one of the earliest bands to do so, especially in a way unlike even some of the other metal punk bands. Normally with the metal punk tag a band will mix the likes of motorhead and tank with the likes of discharge or doom, however bludwulf's style of metalpunk combines more influences that lean towards bands such as English Dogs or Black Uniforms with a very metallic undertone. It's very hard to describe their sound in any specific genre because I've yet to find a band that they are exactly similar to, even those bands have a far cry of difference to them than these Rochester punks.

With dual guitars containing solid rhythms and interesting lead fills, you know there is some decent musicianship among the band. Each song has its own separate atmosphere and definitely portrays the hard work in the making of this release. It's very hard to confuse which song is which because unlike most bands, every song has its own distinctive themes regarding horror, death, violence, and apocalypse without any two songs having much in similarity to them. This makes the entire album very enjoyable as you are not hearing the same thing over and over again. Bludwulf has not only developed their style but keep it fresh for each song there really isn't any filler during the album.

Mature songwriting, interesting styles, and something that isn't simply like most of the material you hear these days. Memorable songs such as "Nightbreed" "The Horror" "Full Metal Warrior" .... hell I don't believe there is a song on this album that you won't want to sing along to. Definitely one of the best albums released this half of the decade.

Amazing mixture of metal and punk! - 95%

Maron, April 12th, 2009

I got into Blüdwülf in 2007, after I heard about them in F.O.A.D. booklet. And boy, was I amazed!

Blüdwülf plays honest, real thrashing metal with a dose of punk. I don't believe that there are many bands that play this kind of music, but I think that's good, because this is not music for anyone. Cryptic Revelations is filled with with superb riffs, nothing outstanding, but enough to sold your soul to these guys. True thrashing armageddon! Every instrument is there to be heard, and production is good. Drumming is okay, reminds me of Venom, because Abbadon also wasn't an exception, he was there just to drum, you know what I mean. It's the attitude and will of this band to make metal interesting and violent what is really important. Back to the stone age!

We mentioned armageddon before? Yes, every minute of this release spreads post-apocalyptic aura. Atmosphere perfectly matches Mad Max flicks. Also, look at the image of the band. Crazy wolves of the wastes!

All hail global annihilation by nuclear weapons!