Innovation ftw - 90%

MutatisMutandis, April 25th, 2007

Considering that the only exposure I've had to this group prior to hearing their debut EP was a few reviews for the group's 2001 Promo CD-R, I really can't describe how they've evolved since their conception, nor can I identify a single member's position, name, remaining wisdom teeth, etc etc... That aside, The Space Between Home And Today is among the most unique releases I've heard to date, smearing the line between Progressive/Technical Death Metal, Emo, Hardcore and East Coast Grind flawlessly with a water soluble marker of pure rock supremacy.

I'm sure that over 90 percent of you are revolted and totally lost at this point, scowling like the Pink Palace shutouts you are, wondering how in the high flying fuck could a band blend "emo" "flawlessly" into the likes of Death Metal and Grindcore, but then again, I'm sure most of you don't even know that Emo originated in 1984, so don't doubt me, poseur. Biolich play a bizarre, uneven mix of Demilich-worship and Circle Takes The Square-esque melody, with a heavy East Coast NuGrind approach in the vein of Sadus Euphoria, Circle Of Dead Children, and Creation Is Crucifixion with segments of Nine Inch Nails-esque Electronica, accented by some mic-cupping gurgly vocal goodness and a few unorthodox shreiks and screams here and there.

The music, while varied, is strangely cohesive in delivery, with each track taking on it's own isolated-epic feel, especially the 7 and a half minute synth track "Ikon Sumo", sandwiched between the heavier strokes of "Time Kills Everything" and the itty bitty "Unfortunately They Don't Allow Us To Store Bodies In The Dumpsters At Work". It's truly unfortunate these guys couldn't stick around for a full length, although the reasoning behind this confuses me - turns out the drummer was the only kink in the network (ie a douchewad), so why did the entire group call it quits? I'm sure they could've sufficed just as well with a replacement skinsman... hell, even a drum machine would've done it for me... or a drinky-bird standing on a bongo.

Anyway, The Space Between Home And Today is truly impressive piece of music, pushing the genres it centers around into bizarre new directions. My only complaint is that the group dynamics seem like they could use a maturation period, even though it's hardly a problem with me. If you're not convinced, their closing mini-EP, Sparrows And Wheelbarrows is available on their Myspace page, and should give you a good impression of what you're dealing with. Of course, torrenting it couldn't hurt, either. After all, since they disbanded, all you're really supporting by purchasing the album in question is their shitty label. You decide.