Dark and mystical. - 78%

Empyreal, August 21st, 2008

Here's a band who call themselves "Dark Oriental Metal," and while that is a hugely specific genre, I'd say it fits Bilocate to alright. This is very dark, meandering music, possessing a heavy, malleable atmosphere that reminds of sepia-toned forests with falling leaves like rain, and while that might not be too original, the music itself won't fail to please. It's doomy, gloomy, depressive type stuff with big, booming and slow riffs, low growls and quite a moving sense of melody and song structuring that lends a nice bleak soundscape to the whole thing. I'm no expert on this kind of music, but overall I'd say it's done quite admirably, with no huge flaws in execution or in performance. It's a very consolidated, restrained effort, and that is respectable in these eyes - too many a band these days try to cram several styles into their music, preventing it from flowing naturally. Bilocate have slowed down into a relaxed groove that is both pleasant and oppressive; a nice contrast.

However, I didn't score this release higher simply because it might be TOO relaxed, to the point of being redundant. See, these guys, they don't play a very dynamic, varied form of music. And I must also direct your attention to the 17 minute long (!) opening song, the regal "Blooded Forest." It's not a bad song, this one, but the problem is that after you've heard it, you've heard the whole album - the rest of it becomes tiresome after such a long tread through the barren wasteland that is Sudden Death Syndrome. Being such a long song, it's an obvious attention grabber, stealing the spotlight almost completely from the equally majestic "Ebtehal" and the lonely, grave "Pure Wicked Sins." Bilocate have created a very interesting piece of work, but with a little more refinement, they could create something truly wondrous and wicked. Look out for these guys.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com