Good, yet incomplete. - 74%

DementiaInBlack, March 8th, 2012

As the former singer of two legendary metal bands, Judas Priest and Iced Earth, Tim 'Ripper' Owens brings to us this project which was created as the immediate band after he was 'fired' from Judas Priest.

Beyond Fear exposes a heavy metal music with some death metal influences in their riffs (at least that's what some friends of mine told me, and once I listened to this band I had to agree with them). Far from being a weird or idiotic idea, the overall sound certainly catches the attention the first time you listen to it. That is perhaps the clearest and best feature of this album and the band itself, the way it sounds.

Besides the instrumental sound of Beyond Fear, the frontman and singer is one of the best ones in the heavy metal scene, although he has been constantly criticized in his brief stance with Judas Priest in an unfair way. Owens has a great and strong voice which fits for any heavy or power metal band.

This album is indeed very powerful, energetic, and somewhat addictive, but as always and as a common issue with every metal band and their music, the final result of a release can't be completely perfect, right?

The slightest of the mistakes can severely affect the taste you could have to a band, and in this case the error/horror in this band caused that score you see in the rating of my review. It's the EXTREME MONOTONY lying within in the songs from this album. There's no variety and marked differences in them.

All the twelve songs are equally the same thing if you listen to them carefully. Not the sound, nor length, but the structure of them. The only example I'll describe about this problem is the first seconds of 'And...You Will Die' and its successor, 'Save Me' = the same intro with the insignificant difference that the first one only has one large guitar note and the other takes that note and divides it into three independent notes.

Perhaps, the monotony factor does not extend for more than 5-10 seconds in each song, but throughout the album, when you have already listened to six or seven songs, eventually it will be very notorious and some metalheads, listening to the rest of the album could be tedious.

Fortunately, it doesn't affect the quality of this great band. All they need is to improve the variety they currently lack and I'm quite sure that a possible second album will have that problem fixed.