Kicking ass heavy metal - 99%

Kalelfromkrypton, May 26th, 2009

This is kicking ass heavy metal. Go and get it, satisfaction guaranteed. Simply put, this one surpassed the debut by miles and it is a superior effort in all senses. I’d simply tell you that for those of you who might need further details, here they are (since it seems LordBones and I were thinking exactly the same thing on these two reviews!).

In regards to Veronica’s voice, well… Is there anything left to say? She is a kicking ass singer. She sounds sometimes very much like Kimberly Goss from Synergy, but she is even more powerful and uses a more wide variety on her vocal range. On this album she sings, she growls, she screams. The only thing I can say is that she is perfect, no questions arising.

The intro is an acoustic piece which will fool you completely but when you get the very first track and that killing drumming machine, the killer riffing and the pace of the song, you immediately will start head banging. This remains a lot the songs from Synergy’s ‘Suicide by my side’ where fast riffing and killer guitar solos fall into a metal-feast category. I’d dare to say that Judas Priest’s ‘Angel of Retribution’ era influences are also present. In the end, if this was the first song, man, what is coming next?

Not all the songs are fast, but they definitely added more speed since the debut. ‘Beast in the field’ is another superior speed track with a killing riff and the pace will leave you wanting for more. There are no boring songs this time. They are all killer, and there is room to enjoy every single piece. On the slow songs but interesting at the same time we have ‘Bare Bones’ and ‘Within the Solace’. Again, the riffing style is very Judas Priest modern-era. They improved in regards to the melodies as well. They are catchier and they will stick to your mind real quick. ‘Steel Rain’ is a ballad, and I have to say it is very good. Not a sappy power ballad but a soft piece with heavy guitars interlude and amazing vocals. ’Seasons of tragedy’ is definitely another highlight since it has everything, amazing vocals, cool guitar riffing, interlude keyboards, slashing guitar solo, and it builds up from slow to mid tempo pace. This is an amazing track which reminds me, sometimes, Primal Fear’s ballads. Thankfully, the keyboards are again very back grounded and they just add them here and there, exactly the way it is supposed to be and this time around, the production exceeds the debut as well. You can identify all the instruments perfectly, and they are all very well mixed.

My only regret is, to be honest, the cover of Balls to the Wall, not because of the cover itself, but because of the song they chose. Of course it is an anthem but I personally dislike it. However, that is only a minor detail. That doesn’t take away at all the excitement of this heavy metal gem. Go and get it. Heavy metal is experience a renaissance thanks to this amazing band which I am a fan of since I discovered them.