Dies Too Easily - 52%

televiper11, September 29th, 2014
Written based on this version: 2001, CD, Nuclear Blast

The revelation that Benediction's Killing Music was to me inspired a strong listen to Dave Hunt's previous album with the band, his debut as vocalist on Organised Chaos. Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as rewarding a listen. Killing Music's unbridled intensity and extreme heaviness is sadly absent from this record, which sounds perfunctory, tied to the band's previous legacy as a functional yet unfulfilling second-tier death metal band.

I gave up on Benediction in the 90's because I found their albums to be rote, repetitive, and nowhere near as heavy and catchy as the majority of their peers. A solid listen yes but nothing to set my world on fire. Organised Chaos sounds like an extension on those albums, in that it features a lot of similar sounding mid-paced death metal that lacks that extra kick of excitement and adrenaline. Dave Hunt's vocals, so manic and unhinged on Killing Music, sounds restrained and more indebted to Dave Ingram's previous stylings here. Perhaps he was trying to fit into music already written or else thought Benediction fans wanted a similar vocal patterning but I am glad he shunted this style soon after. The band being in a real musical rut here lends credence to the idea that Killing Music was all about rejuvenation, a band with something to prove. A couple tracks on this one indicate a potential towards that future, such as the d-beat attack of "Don't Look In The Mirror" and the short trash attack of "Charon," easily the most intense features on the record. But too much time is taken up by bland, baldly groovin', and very dated mid-paced numbers that sound like the bad ideas Napalm Death had in the mid-90's.

In the end, Organised Chaos tallies as one of Benediction's weakest records and I find it amusing that Dave Hunt's two records with the band are polar opposites in terms of quality in the Benediction discography. Stick with Killing Music or backtrack to one of Dave Ingram or Barney Greenway's better outings with them.

Long live Beer Thrash! - 85%

ABHORRED, February 26th, 2004

Benediction, the stoic, elusive englishmen with a penchant for turning out consistently kick-ass LPs return with a new fire under their ass, and (Coincedence?) A new vocalist by the name of Dave Hunt. Upon first listen, Hunt sounds like a Hardcore Dave Ingram, but after consecutive listens, he turns out to have a pretty unique style all his own that meshes pretty well with Benediction slightly toned down, yet still Thrashable Death Metal.

Opening with "Suicide Rebellion", one of the few songs here that sound as if it could have come right from Transcend The Rubicon or Subconscious Terror. One of my favorites. The next few tracks aren't anywhere nearly as memorable as this one, but are all good in their own way.

Nothing On The Inside is another favorite of mine, simply because of it's absolutely levelling breakdown. The stop and go riff in the middle of this one is known for causing stress fractures and herniated discs. The stout Andy Sneap mix does a lot for songs like these.

Keeping with tradition, nothing on this album deviates from the formula set by the first few songs. Where Benediction is concerned, this is a good thing. They don't need wanky fag solos or "I cry when I see flowers and ponds" acoustic interludes. Nor is there any spoken word or female vocals. Yessir, this is 100% Death fucking Metal, the way it was and should be.

I still miss Dave Ingram though. :'-(