Totally Hypnotic - 92%

Andras13, March 31st, 2009

Put yourself in a dark and quiet room. Now hit the play button on your stereo with that EP by the Canadians, Beneath the Massacre. Prepare to take a 17 minute ride into utter chaos. There is not much I can say to prepare you for the onslaught of madness that is about overtake your safe little room.

When I bought this EP I thought I knew what to expect. By the time it was over, the only thing I could find immediately wrong with the EP was that five tracks wasn't enough. The technicality was overwhelming, and I still haven't found a rival for the precision these guys play with. I wish that I could mimic for you the sound that the effects have given to the guitars for this release. If you have a seizure condition, I do not recommend that you buy this album.

When Comforting Prejudice begins, the peaceful room you were in will be shattered. To an untrained ear it almost sounds like some guys bought instruments and figured out how to make noise with them. On closer inspection however you will find that the fretboards have been mastered. The blastbeats from the drum are timed perfectly throughout the short intro. Once the vocals kick in you might find yourself grabbing your seat. The timing is unpredictable through the whole song without losing the inertia.

Profitable Killcount starts with a cymbal fade in, and then instantly turns into a circle-pit frenzied drive up and back down the necks of the guitars. The snare drum blast beats refuse to keep time and command you to focus on the overall chaotic sound. As I mentioned previously, this insane sound has little meter to it. If you listen though you will decipher the beat you need, perhaps after a few listens. A slot machine in a Vegas casino, surrounded by a thousand others is maybe a fair description of what the sound is akin to.

The next three tracks run a similar path to the brief descriptions I have provided. The vocals sound a little like the death vocals of Despised Icon. Lyrical content is intelligent throughout this EP. The content is politically based, and touches on other issues that affect humanity. Admittedly, I didn't understand the vocals for the first few listens and resorted to looking at the liner notes. I was pleased to find the words that I did, as we know, intelligent bands are becoming few and far between.

The actual sound of the guitars and bass remain indescribable by myself. For most of the album the tempo reminds me of something that Agoraphobic Nosebleed could conjure up. The ending of the track ‘Nevermore’ will give you a nice heavy outro from the whole experience. Some people may picture a pinball machine in action by the actual sound and intensity of the guitars. Rest assured, you won’t find tired power chords dominating this album.