Meh. - 60%

Sargon_The_Terrible, March 19th, 2008

This is disappointing, to say the least. Belphegor used to be one of the most extreme bands out there, and now they have become "just another death/black/whatever" band. I'd say it was the move to NB that did it, but actually I think 2005's Goatreich-Fleshcult was almost as uninteresting as this. I won't say this sucks, because here and there, as on the slower "Angel Of Retribution", Belphegor manage some good shit, but mostly this is just utterly faceless Death/Black mush that apes Marduk at their least exciting. Harsh to say about this band, but Pestapokalypse VI is pretty severely lacking in good riffs or songs, and the lyrics and image are very tame compared to the wild old days of raped nuns and knife-wielding naked chicks. The performances are nothing to get excited about, the riffs are bland, and the guitar tone is extremely weak. If I were you, I'd skip this one and stick with Marduk's World Funeral, Behemoth's Zos Kia Kultus, or this bands own Lucifer Incestus, all of which do this much, much better.

Originally written for www.metalcrypt.com