Beyond Overated - 40%

BassLord, July 19th, 2007

Beherit has always been a very enigmatic and cult band, whos music varies dramatically from album to album. I was always intrigued by Beherit's sheer agression and dark atmosphere, but I find Messe Des Morts to be incredibly annoying, and to me, this material sounds like it was made as a joke.

The riffs are simple(even for Beherit) and not one of them has any worth to it. Some of the vocals are ok, but often we find Holocausto sneering jokingly, and even making sounds that resemble an enraged ape!

The songs are filled with random sound effects, and pointless keyboards that don't know when to lay off the vibrato wheel. The keys irritate the hell out of me, as they are neither dark nor do they add an atmosphere to the songs, they are just annoying.

But the drum machine...this is the worst thing about this release. I have nothing against using drum machines, but this is awful. It doesn't sound like the drums are even programmed, it sounds like someone playing keyboard drums who sucks at them. There are no bass drums used at all, only hi hat and snare that only play out of sinc blasts and thrash beats.

Archgoat's side is much better by comparison, though still not great. Simple, raw, thrashy black/death riffs completley devoid of melody slash away at varied paces from blasting to durge like. some Kerry King esque soloing is used here and there as well as additional effects like church bells and sparse keyboards. Whats strange about this band, is despite being considered a black metal band, the vocals are entirely growled in a death metal style, which isn't bad but it does get boring.

This split album is so overated, and I am really not sure why it recieves so much praise in the underground. Beherit have far better material and Archgoat are really only a "Kvlt" band because they recorded this one EP and then broke up for over a decade. Maybe this release is so highly regarded because it is such a chaotic mess, but that really isnt a reason to buy or revere it.