And God calls that day... - 90%

Spawnhorde, February 12th, 2004

Greeted welcomingly by a haunting sample of a narration about Christianity worldwide that leads to a pounding riff and great thick drums, you know you're already in for one hell of a skullfucking.

Zos Kia Cultus is one of the best black/death albums ever. It just doesn't get much more "brutal" than this for the genre. Behemoth play crazy black/death with a pounding rhythm section, kickass vocals, and amazing lyrics.

First off, we have the star here, Nergal, the singer/guitarist. Without this uy's osom vocals, this album would be a stupid dead pile of crap. But, that's not to say that the drums don't rule either. Blatantly using trigers for almost every piece, and sounding very well done and composed, Inferno was an awesome drummer on ZKC.

Other great songs besides the obviously kickass Horns Ov Baphomet include Harlot Ov The Saints and the title track.

Title track has a great intro riff, with "marching band drums", as I like to call them. Very solid song right here.

'Harlot' starts off actually a bit grindy, with a pounding blastbeat/vocal/slam riff assault. Leading into great blasts throughout. I love the dual vocals thing going on here, very reminiscent of Kataklysm, but not overdone (though I love the overdone, as well, but that's another story).

If there's anything else to say about the album that I haven't already drawn out, it's that the lyrics KICK ASS. +5 points because the lyrics make me want to research everything this band talks about in their lyrics.

Whatever, if you don't own this, go get it, since it's not that hard to find.