Holy........Shit........ - 100%

ABHORRED, April 10th, 2003

I don't even really know how to review something this good. I'm sure as hell going to try, though. Here goes...

Zos Kia Cultus, the ten millionth album from these Polish Black/Death crossover gods, will surely be the best of 2003. I remember vividly the feeling I had when placing this disc in the stereo in my car for the first time, while on the way back from the record store. I felt like a little child on christmas day. I thought to myself "I hold here in my hands, the new Behemoth...Will it live up to the hype?!". I was overcome with anxiety and anticipation. My palms got sweaty. I started shaking. Not that I ever doubted Nergal and friends, as they consistently turn out extremely high quality Blackened Death Metal. This is the reason I have remained a fan for quite a while now, and this CD is the reason I will continue to remain a fan.

Continuing in the same fashion as their last effort (massive success, if you ask me), Zos Kia Cultus is a grand blasterpiece of monstrous proportions. Every single song on this disc is just so damned good. It's so chock full of those moments that make you wish you could fellate the man who invented the 'rewind' button. Again, Behemoth's influences are quite apparent; drawing most significantly from the likes of Morbid Angel. But somehow, as so many others have failed to do so, Behemoth come off as something entirely new and fresh. As Floridian as it may sound at points, you have never heard anything quite like this before. One addition to their repertoire I greatly enjoyed was the tasteful usage of those stop and go 'chug' riffs. Which are also beautifully accented by the timely double bass drums of percussion virtuoso Inferno. This is most evident on songs such as "As Above, So Blow" and "No Sympathy For Fools" (Those two coincedentally happen to be my favorites on the album ;) Also of note is the vocal prowess of Nergal himself. This man has so much range and emotion in his growls.
I mean, if his voice isn't so full of contempt and hatred, I don't know what is.

I think I'm starting to ramble a bit, so I'll wind this down...

In short: If you are a fan of hook laden, and brutal yet intelligent Death Metal, buy this album upon your next outing.

If you aren't a fan of that stuff... What the fuck are you doing on this site to begin with?!