Nordland - 97%

SoundOfTheBeast, January 25th, 2005

You float through the waters on a boat, wrapped in a heavy fur garb. The longboat draws nearer to the frozen land before you. On a mountain you see a dragon perched near the top. After landing your ship you walk through the woods to a snowy field being drenched with blood as a battle is waged upon it. As you cross over this cold land you are mesmerized by it's beauty.

This is the feeling I get when I listen to Nordland I. One of the many works of genius by master songsmith, Quorthon. He proves once again that he is the master of this form of music with the first half of the Nordland saga. As with the other viking albums the rhythm guitar on this blends together in a beautiful, hypnotic way that leaves you unable to draw yourself out of the music. Listening to it makes you feel as if you are being taken to another land.

Quorthon makes full use of chanting on this album and it work's beautiflly. They help add to the epic atmosphere of the album greatly. The best example of atmosphere on the record would have to be Foreverdark Woods. The acoustic instruments and sound effects make you feel as if you're traveling through the woods.

This album has turned out to be one of my most loved pieces of music in my collection. I think this album surpasses even Hammerheart. If you liked any of Bathory's viking material...or if you like music period, you owe it to yourself to listen to this album.

Standout Songs: Nordland, Vinterblot, Ring of Gold, Foreverdark Woods, Broken Sword.