Slighly less inspired... - 85%

Kristenhat666, September 25th, 2007

No matter how much it pains me to say this, "MORBID WINGS OF SATHANAS" is, in my eyes, a step backwards for BAPTISM. I do like it as an album, but there are a few points to criticize, mainly the drop in inspiration and the rather amusing cover.

First things first. Let's begin with the cover, which is obviously the primary thing one looks at. It has the same black, grey and white colors that are found on all BAPTISM releases. However, it depicts a so-called demon that looks more like a ram with wings. There's nothing evil or dark about it all, I cannot help shaking my head whenever i look at it. In truth, I don't really like it. Of course, it does not affect my opinion of "MORBID WINGS..." as much as the music itself. So what about the songs? Well, although it is clearly the same kind of music BAPTISM have always played, i.e melodic yet gloomy, I feel that Lord Sarcofagian might not have gone through the most inspired period of his life prior to the release of this opus. The tracks are mostly mid-paced, with more slow passages than fast ones. This is a minus by my book. Additionally, there are too few stand-out melodies, which echo in your mind once the CD/LP has stopped playing. Considering it's a BAPTISM album, this unfortunately forces me to rate it lower than the other ones, as it does not thrill me as much as those.

As the title of this review states, "MORBID WINGS..." represents a decline in Lord sarcofagian's ideas. Nothing tragic, just not enough to allow this album to equal BAPTISM's other releases. No worries though, the band is back on track now with their 2006 MLP, and any slip-ups found on "MORBID WINGS..." do not prevent the band from being high above the ordinary rubbish we find in today's scene!