One of the darkest - 90%

Vehement_Drums, April 29th, 2012

I have no idea how this album remains so unpopular. It's one of the best black metal albums ever for me. I've listened to hundreds and I'd at least put it in my top 20 or so. The vocals just totally make the album. Fucking intense hatred and misery all the way through.

Production is hazy. Roaming through the caverns and forest. Nice echo sound. There are background noises, "oohs" and "aahs," but they are quite subtle and do an amazing job of producing atmosphere. Trust me, any "true" black metal heads who hate shit like that, it's no problem here. You'll like it.

There are a few thrashy parts scattered throughout, but this is mostly suicidal, melancholic black metal. Again, the vocals are absolutely insane at some times. The album definitely drags around the point of "Flames." There ARE some boring moments, but they're outweighed by the others. The best tracks are "A Dream of War and Illumination," "Only Death," "Malicious Rites," "Melancholy of a Journeying Soul," and "In this Painful Life." The others simply do not compare to the intense sorrow and hatred these tracks emit.

I literally felt a cloud of intense fear and dread overcome me while listening to this one time. Took me a fucking week to come back to normal, not even kidding. A warning: If you are already depressed or suicidal, be careful with this fucker. If you get super into it, it can make you as miserable as itself. Very melodic, very romantic, even.

I really do think these guys are the real deal, and enjoy/worship pain and suffering. Some examples of this guy's intense vocals:

8:05 into "A Dream..."

4:20 into "Only Death." Jesus fuck, cannot help but feeling some sympathy for this fucker. That is one miserable growl.

3:49 into "Melancholy of a Journeying Soul." Don't know how he fucking does that, but it LITERALLY sounds like he's drowning in his own misery. God damn.

2:03 into "In This Painful Life." Enough said. Vocals are amazing and make the album.

The negative vibes parts of this album have are amazing. If you actually try to induce a state of hatred, fear, and misery upon yourself while listening to this, you will get chills and the music will feel like its overtaking you. Not kidding. It's beautiful but sinister at the same time. Someone buy this guy a beer for fucks sake, I can't take it anymore! Aaaahhhhh!!!