Damn This is Superb,Why are These Guys So Obscure? - 88%

PowerProg_Adam, March 18th, 2003

Ten More Tales of Grand Illusion is very nearly a complete album. The instrumentation is superb, the production is flawless, and the songs are so catchy and well written, its kind of hard not to enjoy at least one song on this album.

Daybreaker is the only song I've heard previously before buying the album. This song has a very power metal like chorus, but a rather dark and doomy bridge, makes for one of the best tracks on the album.

Prisioner of Pride isn't quite as good as some of the others, its not lyrically anything special really, but the chorus does test the singer's range. His high note is right up there with Geoff Tate.

Savage Tears is absolutely beautiful. Very soulful lyrics and nice, but not over complecated instrumentation. Along with Daybreaker, one of the best tracks on the album.

Under the Spell IMO is really nothing special. Once again very well sang and played, but lacks that something that makes it stick with you.

Blind Man is along the lines of Savage Tears, a bit more positive in the lyrics. Back vocals on this track are what makes it exceptional. Without them, it'd probably be just mediocre.

The next track About to Burn is by far my favorite track on the album. Mindblowing intro, followed by very catchy lyrics and a great riff throughout. Chorus and bridge part here are absolutely phenomenal. The guitar outro here displays some great technical guitar work and amazing sounds better than the intro!

Sins of the world is my least favorite track. Personally I think it sounds similar to some of Stryper's work. For further information refer to Under the Spell.

The Darker Side is a piano ballad with sounds of thunder in the background. Its a pretty melodic song, its very relaxing, perhaps the most relaxing on the album. It kind of falls in the vein of an 80s power ballad, so if you don't like that, then you'll probably skip this one.

Ten More Tales Of Grand Illusion is another one of the better tracks on the album. The majority of this song is sung rather high and has pretty nice guitar work as well. The bridge to this song should actually be the chorus. It seems its going to lead into an early-era Helloween type song, but it slightly disappoints, since the chorus is simply singing the name of the song.

I'm definately going to buy more from Balance of Power. They have a unique sound that doesn't come out sounding awkward. I'm very surprised that they haven't achieved higher status.