Doing their own thing - 80%

kapitankraut, October 8th, 2007

This was my introduction to Bal-Sagoth, and came after a friend of a friend who considers himself a bit of an expert on metal described them as "the only symphonic black metal band you'll ever need to hear." Without having read much about them, I'd expected something entirely different to this - perhaps not surprising, since while there's a black metal influence in Bal-Sagoth's music (particularly Byron's inimitable rasp), it's thoroughly hidden by this album. I'm told that some of their earlier work is blacker, and I certainly aim to find that out.

On first hearing, "Battle Magic" came across as a kind of in-joke. I could hear some highly proficient musicianship, some solid vocals and very interesting lyrics, all of which were good signs. Unfortunately, I just didn't quite "get" the band and the album. Perhaps this isn't surprising, since many of the events described here represent the middle of the stories that Byron's written, rather than the beginning. The effect is a bit like trying to read an epic like "Lord of the Rings" by starting with the second part of the trilogy - it just doesn't quite work.

I left the album for a week or two before coming back to it, and I'm glad I did. Having learned a bit more about what Bal-Sagoth is all about, and having discovered that a surprising amount of Byron's prose lyrics was stuck in my head, I was able to appreciate this album much more. Now, the musicianship, vocals and lyrics were being deployed in the service of a vision which I could begin to understand.

So, for the benefit of those like me who came in late, what precisely is Bal-Sagoth all about? Well, they exist largely to tell stories. On this album, they divide their stories between Byron's alternate universe and real historical happenings, such as the gladiators of Ancient Rome. The common thread, however, is epic battles with lots of blood being spilled.

Musically, the dominant instrument for most of this album is the keyboard. Apparently these keyboard arrangements take months to work out and record, which is perhaps not surprising, since they really do a great job of conveying the mood and the action of the stories. Don't be fooled by the lyrics here, incidentally. Not all of them are actually sung - a good 40% are essentially background prose, which just goes to show the completeness of the musical vision involved in all of this.

The other significant point to make here is about Byron's vocals. Simply put, I've never heard a vocalist remotely like him. His rasp - which I feel is underused on this album - is nothing overly spectacular, but it's his clean vocals which will either make or break this album for the listener. It's almost impossible to believe that these almost camp-sounding "Oxford Don" tones are being delivered by the same man who begins "A Tale from the Deep Woods" with the evil chant of "The ravens are on the wing!" but they are. If the charge that Bal-Sagoth are a very over-the-top band is made, these vocals would be Exhibit A without a doubt.

In conclusion, this is one of those very unusual albums the music world sometimes throws up. If you like Bal-Sagoth, you'll buy this one without a second thought - and probably without reading a single review anyway. If you've never heard them, this is probably as good a place as any to start. It mightn't be the kind of album which will win new fans for the band very easily, but I get the distinct impression that they're happy enough to make this sort of music regardless of who listens to it. It's bizarre, it's over-done, it's pretty camp, but there's a distinct level of quality to it.

Before Battle Metal... there was Battle Magic - 95%

vicioustroll, July 18th, 2007

The third offering from Bal-Sagoth, 1998’s “Battle Magic”, stands out as one of the best from their six album metal saga. The album features imagery of medieval and fantasy battle, and also hints at where Byron is going with the story lines for the next album “The Power Cosmic” (notably the lyrics on ‘Return to the presidium of Ys’).

The whole album has an intensely epic and highly synthesized sound (even for this band), and the songs follow a more regular structure than the usual skirmish of riffs and keyboards. The album might not be that simplistic, but it is certainly the most accessible Bal-Sagoth release.

The opening keyboard passages of the instrumental title track draw you right in; and it is the synths that really carry this album. The guitar work deserves merit as the hooks are spot on; the first track ‘Naked Steel – the warrior’s saga’ for example, is instantly catchy.

Vocals sit better in the mix than on the “Starfire burning upon the ice veiled throne of Ultima Thule” album, and the overall polished production gives a real cinematic effect. Byron’s narrative style married with his black metal rasping is also very effective and adds to the whole archaic feel.

This is dungeons and dragons metal for the escapists out there. For example take these lyrics from track 6 ‘The Dark Liege of Chaos…’:

‘Hearken, sons of the glorious Empire...
Here we stand upon the Field of Blood...
Though this day we may die,
Our legend shall live… forever!’

This could be interpreted as cheese, and to the average metal head this album might seem laughable on the first listen. You have to take it with a pinch of salt and hear it for what it is; an escapist romp through a fantasy world of Byron’s own creation. If you can do that, you will really enjoy this record. For fans of Turisas but perhaps not Rhapsody; don’t be deceived as this ‘cheese’ packs a big spiky punch.

Stand-out tracks: ‘A tale from the deep woods’ ‘Return to the presidium of Ys’ ‘The Dark Liege of Chaos is unleashed at the Ensorcelled Shrine of A'Zura Kai…’

..with their own niche. - 86%

Egregius, February 10th, 2005

And then there was a new Bal-Sagoth album, and the fanatical fans rejoiced! Again, mighty epics in atmospheric and bombastic music interwoven with the finest fantasy lyrics metal has to offer! But what was this? Some didn't quite enjoy it entirely. A good album, but there was a subtle shift in theme going on, and people were hoping for a Starfire Burning 2, instead of a Starfire Burning 1.5 and then something. The fantasy world had become a bit more fleshed out, and had become a fantasy universe. But there were infusions of British history and folklore no less! (People who were shocked at this were in for a heart-attack with the following album..)

Actually, I'm being slightly misleading. This is, again, a mighty fine album. Again, awesome lyrical sagas are wrought within the booklet, moreso than actually sung still. Again, the music accompanies this masterfully. When I first bought this album I was subsequently under the impression that good music should convey the atmosphere intended by the lyrics. Oh what sweet joy this album was for me.

But if you look at the history of Bal-Sagoth, there was at first this promising upstart death-black metal band, which carved out their own genre on the next album, and delivered a master-piece. Battle Magic however, isn't quite that. It's good, I mean I really love this album. But there's this underlieing sort of happy vibe. There a lot of energy in the music, but maybe this album is somehow too triumphant. Of special note is 'Blood slakes the sand at the Circus Maximus'. Never mind the regretfull historical error; this is a brilliant song. If you play this song to someone else however, he'll possibly say "This sounds like circus-music", and you know what? That's not that strange a reaction. If you however open up the booklet, and flick through the pages(!) to this song, you'll see that it's an entire epos, even though during the song only 6 or so lines are said. Now listening to the song, you can actually read along the text while the music plays, and depending on reading spead, the music changes to fit the text while you read! When I first discovered this, I creamed my pants. Of course, you might call me a fanboy, but this illustrates: Bal-Sagoth are a niche-band, but there is a reason it's fans get/got so excited about Bal-Sagoth (besides having the longest songtitles ever).

Not quite the same experience as Starfire Burning was, but man, it's still all good, even though the term cheese does pop up slightly with this album (cover-art for example). Guitars could be a bit stronger in the mix though..but in the end, it's still something I can love.

Blood for Boudicca...Carnage for the fans! - 80%

Rakhai, July 30th, 2002

Bal-Sagoth! Everyone who is interested in fantastic metal should know about this band, and specially about this album. Why? So far, it's their best record (and if I'm correct, it's the most popular too). Don't worry, peasants, I will tell you why it's their best record, in my own humble opinion. The lyrics are excellent, and the music suits it well. The world where the action is happening is mysterious but also, strangely familiar. Some of the songs (which are actually stories) are talking of well-known characters of our History.
Still, there's some works to be done. No, I don't want to receive your rotten vegetables (which is all you got, ha!), peasants, but you know, the band isn't perfect.

Let's talk about the lyrics and the music of Battle Magic. The lyrics, as I told before, are about historical figures of the Antiquity, such as Boudicca (Boadicea for those who prefers Latin), and also about the world of Byron, the singer of Bal-Sagoth. We can see that Byron has plenty of imagination, because the description he gave can make us see the battle before our eyes. All you need is your weapon of choice, good armour, a helmet, and damn good reflexes (and if you like, a strong faith in a Celtic god, like Cerunnos) to fight the invaders. I swear! You will want to fight for the British crown! Okay, maybe not the British crown, but for something you believe in!

The music is good, generally. I don't like much keyboards, but they're not annoying in Battle Magic. The music is able to send us in the good atmosphere most of the time. However, I've begged for more, and unfortunately, my prayers haven't been heard. In other words, I would have preferred their music with more speed and heaviness in some moments. Still, a song is (in my opinion) perfect in the album: When rides the Scion of the Storms. The speed and heaviness are correct. The lyrics are pretty nifty (It talks about a man (British, probably) who is always raising from the dead after being killed), and the vocals are well done. What can I ask more? More songs like that.
So what about the vocals? Byron is a damn good singer, in my opinion. He got a clear and dark voice when talking smoothly, and his "harsh" voice is shrieking, actually. The songs are well balanced between the two voices.

So, what's wrong with the album? Well, I'm not a big fan of keyboards. I prefer a solo of drums than a solo of keyboards. What does that mean? Bal-Sagoth is doing "war" metal, according to a lot of people. Their songs on Battle Magic are mostly description of epic battles. If you do the math: War + battles = violence, you will agree that aggressiveness is the point to improve on this album. And what do you need to show violence in a song? Drums and electrical guitars!
And no, the word "fuck" isn't needed to make a violent song.

In conclusion, Battle Magic is a pretty good album. In my opinion, it's the best album of Bal-Sagoth so far. Buy it if you want to feel like a warrior killing invaders of your motherland (specially for British fans who want to fight with Bouddica). Don't buy it if you want something like Rhapsody, because it's not the same thing at all.