Amen to this - 94%

Baal_Graphics, February 24th, 2007

This is the first release by Avich, and they directly come with a masterpiece, instead of several promotional demos with crappy sound. Avichi is certainly a very promising band, armed with a high intellect, and great musical skills. There is no band like Avichi.

Several elements make Avichi so unique. Avichi isn't the first band dealing with occultism, but atleast Aamonael knows what he's talking about. I'm tired of all the Black Metal bands declaring war to the christians, yet there are no actions (with exception of a sellected few bands). It's easy to create an evil sounding lyric, but it's not easy to make it worthy aswell. Avichi's lyrics contain enough symboly and obscure terms to make you think about it, and I think that this is exactly what lyrics should do. After all, lyrics are an instrument of propaganda. Avichi takes religious elements as a core, and covers it with layers of dark vocabulary until a hateful, (anti-)religious and obscure entity results. Nothing simple and laughable like "We rape christians. Hail Satan" to find here.

Avichi also secludes itself sound-wise. Fast guitar riffs and up-tempo drumwork gives the sound an agressive feel, which certainly results in a great, dark and hateful atmosphere in combination with the lyrics. The vocals are not like any other Black Metal band I've heard, and I have been in the scene for quite some years, so that should say enough. The vocals are low, a bit raw, and very intense. A supernatural being vomits hell over the earth, and the sun will never shine again.

The only element that prevented me from giving 100 points for this release, is that the songs are a bit monotonous. Certainly not boring at all though, but perhaps there could be a bit more variation in the songs. The production of the music is absolutely great though, so if Avichi just puts a bit more variation in the upcoming release, I think it's very difficult to beat that. I concider this release the best of 2007, so far.

Amen.