Cold comfort to the empty hearted - 100%

frozen_me, November 28th, 2011

Listening to a new Autumn album is a ritual for me! Closed eyes, cleared mind, and a heart full of excitement is the right process to explore the new musical horizons that Autumn set with their music. It has been a natural evolution for the band to change a bit with each album, but with this one the band becomes more mature and tight than ever!

The opening track, The Scarecrow, which is also gonna be their first single and video off of Cold Comfort, sets the mood to an autumn scenery that is still uncharted, but for a strange reason, it feels so familiar. Beautiful lyrics entwine with ethereal vocals from singer Marjan Welman into instrumental choruses and along with the soulful riffs and keys take the listener by the hand to an exciting trip. From the very first song, someone can understand that this is not going to be a typical Autumn album at all. The next song is the title track, Cold Comfort, a haunting song that makes me nostalgic for a warm safe place. Marjan’s voice shines with both strong and frail vocal lines full of passion, longing, and melancholy. The song is more uptempo than 'The Scarecrow' with the riffs being more alive as they build the ambiance to bursting! 'Black Stars in Blue Sky' is probably the catchiest song on the album with Marjan being dominant in the chorus, a spacy song with Jan’s keys setting the melodies into orbit to crash fiercely with 'Retrospect'. The song starts playfully, reflecting upon the past, but quickly outbreaks! I absolutely love the bass and guitars on this one and also the “electrified” atmosphere!

And then comes 'Alloy'. Words are not powerful enough to match with the beauty and sadness of this song. It’s enough to say that it is one of the few songs that has brought me into tears. I strongly recommend listening to this song while reading the lyrics and I’m sure you will find a piece of yourself in it. So after the tearful moment comes End of Sorrow, which is exactly what the title says! “A new summer is secretly enchanting” is the opening line and for awhile the cold and moldy atmosphere of Autumn takes a rest. A great romantic song with beautiful lyrics that invoke all kind of images as in a movie. 'Naeon' is a fast-paced song that reminds me a bit of 'The Heart Demands' from the previous album, “Altitude”, which later calms down at the bridge and picks up again to welcome 'Truth be Told (Exhale)', another song that brings on the chilly autumn wind with fallen leaves and another dose of melancholy. Truly an enchanting song with a 'lil surprise, a jazzy uptempo part before the riffs take over the song again!

And now for the finale, The Venamoured, a plea for a second chance. The sweet voice of Marjan accompanied by the backing vocals of guitarist Mats ask to “Grant us some time, give us courage to look inside”. The perfect ending for this album with heavy guitar riffs, atmospheric keys, drums, and bass at large! This is music at its purest form with a heavenly, yet earthly voice, a band that dives deeper into the very core of music which is…emotions!