Amazing Composition - 89%

Robropnkr1, March 20th, 2007

The first time I heard this album in it's full extent, i knew that it was unlike anything else I have ever heard. From the chaotic harmonies, agressive drum patterns, bass solos and intruiging lyrical concepts, I could discern for myself that Atheretic (formerly Satanized) was a band that could hold it's own, based on musicianship alone.

First off, I would like to state that Dominick (Forrest) Lapointe is one my favorite death metal bassists of all time. His tapping techniques and arpeggiated scale work are amazing and are done exceptionally well. The chemistry between the dissonant guitar chords and rhythms and the bass work is awe-inspiring. Despite the qualms one might have with this band and this album, one must admit that they are good at what they do.

On the other hand, the chaotic elements of this album can be somewhat tiring and hard to listen to for an extended duration. Don't get me wrong, I love this album and this band, but I recognize the fact that not very many people would enjoy this album for what it really is.

"Alextreme" has an amazingly deep and brutal scream that surpasses what many vocalists can do with their throats. The guttural sounds that emenate from his vocal chords mix well with the music yet remain distinct from it, creating a seperate entity, the voice for the band.

Dany, brother to Alexandre, is quite the guitarist. His style is unique, different from any other metal guitarist. Using tri-harmonized chords, dissonant riffs, and off-scale arpeggios, he creates a soundscape that can only bring up feelings of conflict, despair, and strife. Although not sad or melodic in any way, the sadness of struggle is reminiscent in his guitar work and is likewise felt through the lyrical concepts.

Jean-S├ębastien is an exceptional drummer. With some of the most technical percussion elements i have heard as of yet, he shows the world what true Canadian metal is made of. I love the way he uses his drumset as a tool for destruction, not as a musical instrument. His double-bass pedal work is extraordinary, and definitely worth a listen.

Aside from all things listed above, my favorite thing about this band is the lyrical concepts they create. Themes of the destruction and eventual revenge of nature are intruiging, and distinctly original. I have never heard a band, let alone a person, speak of nature in this way. It is an interesting philosophy; the fact that they use it in death metal makes it all the more intruiging.

In conclusion, I must state that unless you enjoy all forms of extreme metal and have a taste for the chaotic nature of things, you will not enjoy this album as much as I did. As I stated earlier, the chaotic and endlessly technical nature of this album can be off-setting if not appreciated for it's brutality and musical intellect. But if you are like me, and enjoy a blast beat and a death growl every now and again, please pick up a copy of Apocalyptic Nature Fury.