John West has a Very Harmonic Voice Here - 88%

PowerProg_Adam, February 14th, 2003

Machine is sort of a strange album. When I first bought it, I absolutely hated it. Then after listening to it a few more times, it became one of my favorite progressive metal albums. This album is extremely keyboard oriented, sort of like Dream Theater's work with Jordan Rudess. The strongest song on this album is definately The Way, it happened to be the only song I liked even when I hated the album. I originally didn't like it, because I thought John West's voice was a bit whiny, but after a while it grows on you. The Loser Never Wins, Evolution In Reverse, and Mother Earth are without a doubt the strongest songs on Machine. The weakest song IMO is the title track, nothing really special about it. These are some really magnificent musicians on this album, and that is most likely the reason why it is nearly a complete album. Artension sounds very similar to Royal Hunt here, only they have a slightly heavier edge. This is a textbook Progressive Metal album, it may piss you off in the beginning, but if you give it a chance, you'll learn to love it.