Makes for a Great Debut - 91%

PowerProg_Adam, October 20th, 2003

Artension is mainly known for the extreme keyboarding of Vitalij Kuprij, but here on Into the Eye of the Storm, its not so prevalent, which makes this album more palatable to most metal fans. Mike Terrana is a much more technical drummer than their drummer on their middle two albums, so that may seem like a positive for some people. Instead of the songs being structured as standard progressive metal, there are a wider array of songs then usual.

World of Illusion starts of a little bit more doomy than usual for Artension with rather crunchy guitar, which is a good thing. John West flows from low to high pitch rather well throughout this song along with nearly all the others, and it also has a phenomenal chorus like many of the others as well.

Smoke and Fire is probably the most unique song on the album, because its realatively bluesy. It even begins with a funk type bass groove, which happens to sound pretty nice. The lyrics to it just remind me of a Whitesnake song, it offers a nice slab of cheese, but nothing too horrible to make you hate the song.

The Key is sort of like what most other good Artension songs sound like. It begins with a very mellow first verse, and then kicks into an extremely high pitched scream from John West. Then speeds up until it gets to a memorable chorus. This is the type of song that has drawn myself to this band.

I'd say if you are a fan of unique progressive metal, power metal, or even some lighter metal, I'd say this is a good place to start a collection. Although most Artension albums focus on the keyboards, which I realize most people hate, it really is more guitar, bass and drum oriented. If you don't like this album, then you probably won't like this band.