Marduk clone, but its okay - 60%

makaze, September 14th, 2004

From our neighbours, Italy, comes one pretty much unknown black metal band named Ars Macabra. The story goes back to 1998, when they were formed by Sathor (guitar) and Nero Baratro (bas). During the years, lineup changed, so nowadays these two guys and Myst make the Ars Macabra. Once they had a drummer, but now there's a drum machine. So far they have released one album, "Iter In Obscuritates Mentis", and these days they will release second one, entitled "Daemonolatria Hypnotica". The promo CD that I'm holding in my hands features three songs off this album. "Strumgeshutz Of Chaos", "Prolegomena Of The Warfare State" and "Dawn To An Endless Night" are composed in the spirit of Marduk, Dark Funeral and old-Satyricon. There are no keyboards, clean vocals or other stuff here - only pure black metal - fast, grim, uncompromising. Someone will like this, someone will not. Then, we would be talking about taste, and that's not point of this review... It's important to say that this is okay release, at least for a narrower audience. Underground black metal like it's supposed to be. Nothing more, nothing less. You won't hear some new stuff, but you will enjoy in the music. This is the evil in it's purest form. Fast music, full of energy. Production is not bad, but could be done better. Who likes this kind of music should check them out...